Sciatica - What to do?

Has anyone here dealt with sciatic pain? I injured my back this winter and haven't felt right since then. My latest is pain where my glutes attach to my pelvis on my left side. It comes and goes, but it's starting to really affect my ability to climb.

Basically my question is if any one has had successfull therapy for sciatica, what was your therapy?

Cheers

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anecdotal evidence is generally considered weak in medicine...but...here's mine anyway:

Acupuncture.

I had exactly the pain you described for a couple of months. It was getting pretty depressing. But for me - acupuncture really worked. That sort of condition is right up their alley.

Hmmm, it looks like my situation is pretty mild compared to the stories in that thread. I don't have any dead nerve spots and I have not been diagnosed with a herniated disk (I haven't had an MRI though). My complaint is pain under my pelvis when bending over or opening my hips and tightness in my hamstring. I've been starting a regular stretching routine and that has already helped a lot. I like the suggestions about acupuncture and yoga. I might give those a shot too.

Thanks.

Has anyone here dealt with sciatic pain? I injured my back this winter and haven't felt right since then. My latest is pain where my glutes attach to my pelvis on my left side. It comes and goes, but it's starting to really affect my ability to climb.

Basically my question is if any one has had successfull therapy for sciatica, what was your therapy?

Cheers

You won't want to hear this, and there's a nice reply in here somewhere about the lack of value in anecdotal evidence, but TIME was the only thing that made mine go away: about six or eight months if I remember correctly. Advil helped, avoiding heavy packs with waist belts helped, but it just seems to takea while to heal.

Wierdest set of symptoms I've ever had BTW. I was pretty freaked out about it for a bit. My left calf muscles still twitch 24/7 17 years later.

• 1 month later...

A few years ago I had this problem when UI started to do alot of squats when I got into biking daily for at least 20 miles the pAIN WENT AWAY AFTER A COUPLE MONTHS AND HASN'T COME BACK IN THE LAST 2 YEARS . i WAS WORRIED IT WOULD NEVER GO AWAY BUT THE LOW IMPACT EXERCISE SEEMED TO MASSAGE IT AWAY