Staying in shape on the road

swaterfall

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stairwells are good. A high %age of hotels have fitness centers. But to me the most fun is to go for a run in a new place. Nearly every city has a safe, nice running area with lots of people doing the same thing. Nothing like getting in a good run and having done a little exploring. If the city is particularly safe, I'll pack a map and try to work my way from point to point, maybe take a bus or subway back. In the past couple of months I've run this way in Brussels, Montreal, Ottawa. I've run on the beach at night south of San Paulo, run in Central Park during the day. Best way to avoid becoming the average business-traveling blob.

to give the pushup/dip/crunch routine a bit of diversity i use a deck of cards. flip one over if it is a 9 do nine pushups, next card do dips etc., this keeps you from getting bored with sets, as you are always hoping that you will get a 2 card and only allow 8 seconds between sets. also do one leg squats, calf raises, lunges, and shadow boxing is great for working up a sweat. oh and there are some great gyms in Cinci, and if you get the chance the "Red" is only an a couple hours away, but that is only if you are interested in a few thousand great sport and trad routes. definitely worth the car rental if you have the time. cheers.

Oh man you asked for it. When I played rugby we did some sick circuit routines that seriously left you wanting to lay down and puke. I can't reveal the secret details of the torturefest but it involved doing as many bodyweight excercises as you possibly can in cycles, with almost no rest. So an example would be:

Pushups: 1 min, as many as you can do

20 seconds rest

Situps: 1 min, as many as you can do

20 sec rest

Calf-raises (easy for a reason): 1 min

20 sec rest

Jump squats!!! Like squats but faster, with a jump at the end. This is the crux of the cycle... 1 min

20 sec rest

Back raises 1 min

20 sec rest

A timer is helpful.

The heart of the routine: repeat 4 to 10 times, or until you vomit! NEVER rest for longer than 20 seconds, even when repeating the cycle.

Bonus excercises you can throw into the cycles:

Pullups (if you have a pullup bar)

Dips

Stairs...

ps. if done right, most of your body will be in excruciating pain the next day! fruit.gif

Edited by ashw_justin