easy rock near bellingham

Stavrogin

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mt. Erie-

Sunset Slabs, bit of a hike, but super easy, huge anchors, nive views. There are a couple of low-moderate routes on the right.

Larrabee-

Boat Launch Wall. Drive to the boat lauch and look south. You have to top tope from the top because of the length. Bring a super long sling to back up the metal anchor that is pounded into the wood.

Agree about Sunset Slabs....absolutely the safest place around to learn how to climb. Bring some long runners to reach from the anchors over the edge, and you can have fun ticking of several short routes on the west facing slabs, all within 30 feet of each other. The views are great too!

Then, when you gain more confidence, head around the corner to the south face of sunset slabs, and you have more challenging and slightly longer routes.

i am going to a wedding in bellingham - so trying to get the most bang for my francs and cant afford the time to drive to mt erie - can someone give more detail about climbing in larrabee - rather do roped climbing but will boulder too. 5.10 range? is it all tr or are there trad/bolted lines? thanks for the input.

Frankly, the roped climbing at Larabee is mediocre at best, unless you like sandy slabs, but the bouldering is not bad at Clayton Beach. If you have time, hike up to Oyster Dome, where there are several good climbs in the 5.10 range, both bolted and trad.

Oyster dome is about 45 minutes uphill from Chuckanut Drive, and the parking is about 6 miles south of Larabee State Park. It is the huge hunk of stone hanging on top of Chuckanut Mountain, and the climbs start above the infamous Bat Caves (follow the signs). There are several trad climbs on the lower face, and some nice bolted routes on the upper face. Its not exactly "roadside cragging" though, so make sure you have a few hours to devote to the experience.

i think that oyster dome, technically is in the state park???

hellno3d.gif

no. it is located atop blanchard mountain and is managed by the washington state department of natural resources. if you have the time and have not been there, it is a must do. for cragging, ummm ... the ham is not the place.

Larrabee does have a couple of short cracks. There are some descriptions here:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listArea.php?AreaID=1375

Oyster Dome has a couple 5.9/5.10 sport lines but they are short and not really worth the hike. The views from the top, however, are worth the hike...

Mt. Erie has some good sport. It really isn't too far from I-5. For 5.10 sport I'd recommend the Orange Wall.

Yes, Larabee does have a couple of nice, albeit short cracks. The one called "sand in your crack" in the above post is fun, and can be has hard as mid 5.10 (variation) as long as you dont mind the rain of grit.

About Oyster Dome....there are actually at least half a dozen nice 5.10ish sport climbs there, and a couple of harder ones. And the slanting trad route up the left side (5.7) is a kick, especially if one continues to the top of the dome. And yes, the views from the top all the way to Victoria are killer...

It is faster to drive to Mt. Erie than to hike up to Oyster dome.

You'll probably have the most fun at Larrabee if you don't have much time.

Try the Grey Wall, Pink Wall (on tracks between Larrabee and Clayton),Cornflakes (just south of Grey Wall), Boat Launch Wall, Clayton Beach, The Point (at Larrabee where the lovebirds make out on the rocks).

i'll probably head down to larabee tomorrow. i read somewhere about the gov. lister wall down there too, is that any good? the sunset slabs sound good too, and i'd like to check them out at somepoint. where can i find directions to them? also, are they ever mountie infested?

Stavrogin, I dont know about Sunset Slabs at Larabee, but Sunset Slabs at Erie is pretty much beginner territory. And yes, classes are often taught there, due to the abundance of fixed anchors and low angle climbs. There are a couple of interesting lines on the South Slab though, moderate and pretty clean.