Greg_W

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This was what struck me

U.S. and U.N. officials said Wednesday Washington had transported 1.8 tons of enriched uranium out of Iraq for safekeeping more than a year after looters stole it from a U.N.-sealed facility left unguarded by U.S. troops.

So how much didn't get recovered? Were we better off with nuclear material in the hands of madman, or not knowing where the hell it is?

I honestly believe that Saddam was a nice guy.

rolleyes.gif

Not sure I'd say "nice," but I don't think he was the homocidal lunatic they wanted us to believe, because if that were true, one of his own people would have killed him a long time ago.

All this "the people liked him because they were afraid..." Ahem. How afraid are they when they walk up to heavily armed soldiers and start letting loose? Yeah, I didn't think so.

I honestly believe that Saddam was a nice guy.

rolleyes.gif

Not sure I'd say "nice," but I don't think he was the homocidal lunatic they wanted us to believe, because if that were true, one of his own people would have killed him a long time ago.

All this "the people liked him because they were afraid..." Ahem. How afraid are they when they walk up to heavily armed soldiers and start letting loose? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Are you serious? So, all the heinous shit people say he did to his own people was a lie or something?

Nobody offed Hitler, Mussolini, or Stalin when they were at their height.

You sound like some sort of delusional apologist.

That's because Hitler, Mussolini, and Stalin, like it or not, were popular in their countries and strongly supported by everyone around them. It takes more than one single leader to do anything, evil or otherwise. It takes all those around him to support it. And if an entire country supports the actions of a their leader, like it or not the supporting country is not going to deem those actions evil.

The truth is, bad leaders do fall. If they stray too far from the wishes of their country they get THE AXE. Of course in the USA we like to believe that all bad leaders fall because we say so. That's just our egocentric view of things.

What I'm saying is if the Iraqi people thought that Saddam Hussein was a bad evil man, somebody would have killed him. So you have believe one of two things: either Saddam Hussein wasn't a homocidal lunatic, or the entire country is full of homocidal lunatics. Clearly there are those who believe the latter. But I'd like to believe that the Iraqi people are as morally intelligent as a good number of other nations. And these people chose to support a leader, granted who did some bad things. However they were satisfied enough not to revolt, which means by any political theory that his leadership should not have been fucked with on any grounds that he was a bad leader.

We went to war on Iraq because we want to maintain our influence in the region, show our strength, and maybe even get some cheap oil in the process. Terrorists and evil leaders were just excuses.

Not sure I believe all this about the Iraqis didn't really hate Hussein, but I just wanted to point out that some people did in fact try to assasinate Hitler. Rommel's involvement in this lead to his execution from what I remember.

Not sure I believe all this about the Iraqis didn't really hate Hussein, but I just wanted to point out that some people did in fact try to assasinate Hitler. Rommel's involvement in this lead to his execution from what I remember.

You are correct on both your points. This just prooves my point further. We don't know what attempts were made on Hussein's life during his rule; totalitarian regimes tend to keep such things out of their press.

Saddam is a real bastard but.... we invade a secular dictatorship without an active WMD program and...

Allow looters to steal 1.8 tons of radioactive material!

and

Create a power vacuum that allows Islamic Radicalism to flourish!

So ummm...isn't the "war on terrorism" really a war against Islamic Radicals who want to build theocractic governments as well as an attempt to limit their access to weapons they can use against us (i.e. WMD)

The article referenced is just more evidence that we lost this battle BIG-TIME. Thanks Bush! rolleyes.gif

Sorry, it's just that every time I see Saddam on TV I get lost in his dreamy eyes and long to curl up in his shaggy beard. rolleyes.gif

Hey you know what's funny, none of us know shit about Iraq except what the media wants us to. So it's quite possible that we can say whatever the hell we want and all be equally FOS. fruit.gif

1) At some point, Iraq had weapons of mass destruction.

2) Iraq was a brutal dictatorship; those who challenged the dictatorship were routinely imprisoned or killed.

3) Iraq had no democracy, no freedom of the press, no freedom of speech.

4) Iraq engaged in harsh anti-American rhetoric.

We can all agree on these, right? Where we seem to differ is on the point of whether those things justified an invasion and occupation. Because if those things do justify that action, which of the following countries that meet the above criteria are next: North Korea, China, Syria, Sudan, Libya, Pakistan? If you don't think we should invade those countries, why not?