Heli Bouldering?

Dru

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bouldering is fun. Admittedly there was this sweet three-pitch-high, 500-meter-long cliff 10 minutes uphill from the boulder in question - but in general it's a sad group of climbers who, on getting flown into basecamp, would refuse to send all the problems on the local boulders in between summiting.

thumbs_up.gif

"Lets go bouldering while we waitfor this rain to end" Jeff Jackson

"Bouldering?" Scott Cosgrove

"Yeah, you know - bouldering. A form of climbing you can do without ropes or protection." Kurt Smith

"Are you insane? Out here a broken ankle could be fatal!" - Cos

Let's face it, people. Those who hate bouldering hate it because they are weak and suck at it. That's why they alpine climb, trad climb, etc. That's sure as hell why I do it.

There's nothing wrong with being weak and shitty at bouldering. But don't try to make it into some elitist virtue; admit your shortcomings and give props where props are due. I'm more inspired by climbing multipitch trad 11s way high on a big rock, but only because trad 5.11 - after years of deluding myself into thinking I am better than a run-of-the-mill traddy - seems to be all I can do. My ego isn't so snivelliing and weak that I have to tell myself I don't boulder because long cracks are cooler or harder than climbing v10.

Let's face it, people. Those who hate bouldering hate it because they are weak and suck at it. That's why they alpine climb, trad climb, etc. That's sure as hell why I do it.

There's nothing wrong with being weak and shitty at bouldering. But don't try to make it into some elitist virtue; admit your shortcomings and give props where props are due. I'm more inspired by climbing multipitch trad 11s way high on a big rock, but only because trad 5.11 - after years of deluding myself into thinking I am better than a run-of-the-mill traddy - seems to be all I can do. My ego isn't so snivelliing and weak that I have to tell myself I don't boulder because long cracks are cooler or harder than climbing v10.

oohhhh yeah. now thats a good post! thumbs_up.gif

yeah I got my ass kicked trad climbing last weekend.

mileage. who gets more rock mileage under their belt - a boulderer sessioning on a 15 foot high problem for a couple of hours or a party climbing a 20 pitch route in a day

?

or as jack fieldhouse once told me referring to something on mt. dickson "i hiked 4 hours up this ridge to a two move problem and then hiked another 2 hours to the top" yellaf.gif

I think bouldering is awesome. It's the quickest (and safest!) way to get good at doing really hard moves. But I think it lacks depth, and a sense of adventure. It's also a discipline in which you pretty much expect to fall A LOT, which is just not acceptable in contrasting modes of climbing, such as big trad routes.

Plus you can boulder all day and kick all kinds of ass but there's neither an amazing alpine panorama at the end, nor an 8-mile stumble back to the car. wazzup.gif

Plus you can boulder all day and kick all kinds of ass but there's neither an amazing alpine panorama at the end, nor an 8-mile stumble back to the car. wazzup.gif

rolleyes.gif both not true

plus when doing highballs you learn not to fall.

Face it, Luke, the VAST MAJORITY of boulder problems lack exactly what Justin was saying. bigdrink.gif

thumbs_up.gif

"Lets go bouldering while we waitfor this rain to end" Jeff Jackson

"Bouldering?" Scott Cosgrove

"Yeah, you know - bouldering. A form of climbing you can do without ropes or protection." Kurt Smith

"Are you insane? Out here a broken ankle could be fatal!" - Cos

In the Cirque?

• 2 weeks later...