Hikers, cougars, & guns

Greg_W

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I take my two little girls out backpacking I am packing. I keep it hidden but handy and would only shoot an animal on the second shot. I have been stalked by a bear and a cougar. With the bear incident, I didn't have a gun and found myself facing an equal size apponent with a pocket knife in the middle of a clearcut. I was able to bluff him but not until he was literally five feet away. The cougar didn't get too close because I had a rifle. But his eyes burned holes in my back.

GregW-

Most cougar attacks are from behind on solo travelers. You got rear view mirrors on your hat? Or just more random NRA paranoia? Cougar attacks average under 10 per year for the past decade. You'd better your odds at a long life by backing up your slings everytime you rap.

GregW-

Most cougar attacks are from behind on solo travelers. You got rear view mirrors on your hat? Or just more random NRA paranoia? Cougar attacks average under 10 per year for the past decade. You'd better your odds at a long life by backing up your slings everytime you rap.

I was just providing news, like everybody else does on this site. Why do you feel the need to turn this into an "random paranoia", NRA-bashing thing? I'm sure you're some limp-wristed liberal anti-gunner who hides behind the big, bad Federal Government to provide you your rights. Fuck off. I say the guy was right on for taking action to protect himself; especially since there was an earlier attack in the area. Given that a cougar can leap about 30' from a crouch, having the ability to "reach out and deliver pain" makes me feel a little safer.

I had a feeling that someone was gonna throw that back at you Greg. Thanks for the link. Although it seems that many cougar attacks would happen far too quickly to have the time to open your backpack and retrieve a gun.

Although it seems that many cougar attacks would happen far too quickly to have the time to open your backpack and retrieve a gun.

Statistically you are correct. Which was my point. A gun may give you the ability to kill the cougar, but you aren't likely to sight it before it sights you (hunting be an exception to this rule)

GregW-

What does this issue have to do with gun rights? I never said anything wrong about carrying a fire arm. I'm just pointing out that it won't be much use in most cougar attacks. Sorry if that puts your panties in a twist.

Whenever gun use is brought up, it seems that the term "paranoia" couple with some sort of NRA-bashing is the normal response. Being that the NRA is the bastion of gun rights, whenever you malign the NRA I presume that you do not believe in gun rights (which you probably don't). If I'm in a cougar-sensitive area, my gun is not in my pack; it's on my hip.

I had a feeling that someone was gonna throw that back at you Greg. Thanks for the link. Although it seems that many cougar attacks would happen far too quickly to have the time to open your backpack and retrieve a gun.

Speak for the unaware. I have spent a large part of my life in wilderness areas and was always aware when being stalked by various critters including bull moose. Yes, stalked! Get outside the city limits to formulate opinions on wildlife behavior. smirk.gif

Speak for the unaware. I have spent a large part of my life in wilderness areas and was always aware when being stalked by various critters including bull moose. Yes, stalked! Get outside the city limits to formulate opinions on wildlife behavior.

That's quite the assumption you make there Bug. You do bring up a good point about awareness though. In my opinion there aren't many people who have that sense to tell when they are being stalked/followed/watched. This is probably a good thing too, otherwise we would have many paranoid people hiking with gun in hand because they "think" they are being "stalked". Not to say the feeling isn't always true, just that I don't think there are that many people who are really in tune with their surroundings. wave.gif

Speak for the unaware. I have spent a large part of my life in wilderness areas and was always aware when being stalked by various critters including bull moose. Yes, stalked! Get outside the city limits to formulate opinions on wildlife behavior. smirk.gif

Bug-

Most people attacked by cougars have been unaware.

GregW-

I consider paranoia "Extreme, irrational distrust of others". So does the dictionary. Statistically, wild animal attacks are extraordinarily rare in the US - hence the irrational part. I never said anything about your precious right to own a gun - I was just injecting reality into your hyperbole. Most people attacked in CA/CO have been either children, or actively participating in aerobic activity - running, mt biking. Hip holsters aren't very comfortable in either of those activities smirk.gif

Colorado statistics:

June 1970 Town of Lewis near Cortez 2-year-old boy, alone in his yard

December 1976 Town of Rye 14-year-old boy, running

June 1990 Fourmile Canyon near Boulder 28-year-old woman, running, was treed by two lions but uninjured

February 1991 Idaho Springs 18-year-old man, running, was killed

December 1994 Mancos River in Mesa Verde National Park 25-year-old woman attacked while crouching near the water

September 1995 Rocky Mountain National Park Man, running, was treed but uninjured

June 1996 Rocky Mountain National Park Man, running, was attacked

July 1997 Rocky Mountain National Park 10-year-old boy, attacked by a lion, suffocated on vomit after the attack

July 1997 Mesa Verde National Park 4-year-old boy attacked

October 1997 Walker Ranch, Boulder County 25-year-old mountain biker, confronted but uninjured

April 1998 Roxborough State Park, Jefferson County 24-year-old male hiker chased and injured

October 1999 Bear Canyon, Boulder County 54-year-old male runner chased, not injured

Speak for the unaware. I have spent a large part of my life in wilderness areas and was always aware when being stalked by various critters including bull moose. Yes, stalked! Get outside the city limits to formulate opinions on wildlife behavior.

That's quite the assumption you make there Bug. You do bring up a good point about awareness though. In my opinion there aren't many people who have that sense to tell when they are being stalked/followed/watched. This is probably a good thing too, otherwise we would have many paranoid people hiking with gun in hand because they "think" they are being "stalked". Not to say the feeling isn't always true, just that I don't think there are that many people who are really in tune with their surroundings. wave.gif

As I said, "Speak for the unaware." Calling someone else paranoid without having been in their shoes is usually insensitive. If you have had a large predator expressing intent to eat you, it is disconcerting but statistically acceptable. After a couple dozen times you begin to arrive at the conclusion that they are really serious about finding dinner. Just being aware of a danger is not paranoid. Anyone who has spent a lot of time in the wilderness where predators run wild will call you folks 'city folk'. I didn't make it up. I just point it out.

Guns are a way of life for those people. Not for power or crime. They are just a tool to compensate for the lack of claws, sharp teeth, incredible strength,speed and agility and lack of skill with a sharp stick.

Peace. Enjoy your woods. You will probably be OK.

Just being aware of a danger is not paranoid. Anyone who has spent a lot of time in the wilderness where predators run wild will call you folks 'city folk'. I didn't make it up. I just point it out.

Guns are a way of life for those people. Not for power or crime. They are just a tool to compensate for the lack of claws, sharp teeth, incredible strength,speed and agility and lack of skill with a sharp stick.

Bug-

See earlier statistics of who has been attacked. It's not surprising that animals would attack the unaware (bikers/runners) and the young.

As I said, "Speak for the unaware." Calling someone else paranoid without having been in their shoes is usually insensitive. If you have had a large predator expressing intent to eat you, it is disconcerting but statistically acceptable. After a couple dozen times you begin to arrive at the conclusion that they are really serious about finding dinner. Just being aware of a danger is not paranoid. Anyone who has spent a lot of time in the wilderness where predators run wild will call you folks 'city folk'. I didn't make it up. I just point it out.

Fair enough, unfortunately I believe there are many unaware individuals who travel into the backcountry. These people carrying guns are what makes me nervous. You're correct that I shouldn't label these people paranoid as I have not been "in their shoes", just as you should not necessarily include me in "you folks". It is too bad that not many people have the ability to deal with situations that arise in the manner that you stated, for these folks guns are a very valuable tool. I'm not saying that I definitely have these abilities. I do believe that if confronted with this situation that my physical abilities and quick thinking would allow me to escape with my life, just as yours did when the bear charged you. Cheers to you and hopefully we will all have many more days spent safely in the wild. grin.gif

Just being aware of a danger is not paranoid. Anyone who has spent a lot of time in the wilderness where predators run wild will call you folks 'city folk'. I didn't make it up. I just point it out.

Bug-

See earlier statistics of who has been attacked. It's not surprising that animals would attack the unaware (bikers/runners) and the young.

They don't attack the deer, or rabbits that are watching them either. They look for the ones they can sneek up on and/or are to slow and week to defend themselves.

Hahaha "NRA Strike Force." What, do these bastards think they're special ops or something? hahaha.gif Fuck most of us grew out of that phase by age 11.

Seriously, the gun was completely irrelevant in this guy's encounter. Some pretty lame newsmaking skills I must say. The only thing that article says to me is: you don't need to carry a gun. yellaf.gif Thanks for dispelling my paranoia, NRA Strike Force. rolleyes.gif