Dru

Which of the following is   

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which of the following is

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People do actually end up falling in crevasses on the C-D from time to time, don't they?
That's why you should rope up on the Roman Wall.

I actually heard something along those lines from a couple of climbing rangers while hiking up the bare ridge above the saddle. wazzup.gif

But seriously, I'm pretty sure people actually manage to fall in crevasses on the way up to the saddle. Don't ask me how, I've never seen it happen.

But seriously, I'm pretty sure people actually manage to fall in crevasses on the way up to the saddle. Don't ask me how, I've never seen it happen.

Me neither, but I know the slope just below the col gets icy late season. People slip there and wing down the fall line into that gaper that you have to traverse around late season.

so bouldering is bouldering. You don't say: let's go climbing; you say: let's go bouldering. Right? So, I think because it's so important to distinguish bouldering as it's own special way of life, that we shouldn't dare call it climbing. No?

We say, "Let's go particpate in that genre of climbing in which it is highly probable that we shall encounter females."

A hike becomes a climb once I start using my hands on the rock or tools in the snow and ice. So 4th class scrambles are climbs, same with ice, single and multipitch rock routes, summit of mountains that require the use of my hands. If I can walk up something then that is what it is a walk up. If I have to pull myself up through a section to make it to the top of whatever it is then it is a climb.

Those days are behind me now, but I always thought bouldering was what you did at the end of the day when you were too stoned to belay. cantfocus.gif

lol. Now it's more like, when you are too self-centered about your climbing badassness to belay. tongue.gif Haha, yeah, I know that wasn't fair. Somebody flame me!

Those days are behind me now, but I always thought bouldering was what you did at the end of the day when you were too stoned to belay. cantfocus.gif

Drinks? No man, I'm living one day at a time. That's all behind me now and...what, are you buyin'?

• 1 year later...

I'm sure that with just a little effort, this thread can be placed in the context of a bolting argument, and thereby given new life and meaning.

What about bushwacking? It seems to be one of those self-abusive tendencies to which only 'climbers' subject themselves. The bushwack approach to a mellow ridge scramble can definitely be the most extreme and strenuous part of the day. And yet, it doesn't usually involve danger, roping up, or placing gear.

[Note - irrelevant musings/random thread drift ahead] I think in the future, dirt will distinguish alpine climbing from all other pursuits (which will be indistinguishable from gym climbing). All previously climbed rock will have been scrubbed clean long ago and be either bolted or festooned with fixed gear (the effect being the same). Vast road networks will bring climbers to within 50 ft. of the climb/boulders/artificial wall, and one will merely have to exit one's vehicle and line up for a turn.

The real adventurers will bushwack up horrendous valleys of second growth and exotic shrubbery (think himalayan blackberry) that have grown in where the glaciers used to be. These rabid misanthropes will scratch their way up dirty, flakey, disconnected ridges, seeking to avoid all other human contact. They will keep their ascents secret to maintain the spirit of adventure, and will never bushwack or climb the same route, so as to not accidentally clean it.

Obviously, Dru, your poll needs a new category. It's only climbing when there's bushwacking involved, and at least a few moments of vicious hatred towards life.

What about bushwacking? It seems to be one of those self-abusive tendencies to which only 'climbers' subject themselves. The bushwack approach to a mellow ridge scramble can definitely be the most extreme and strenuous part of the day. And yet, it doesn't usually involve danger, roping up, or placing gear.

A couple responses to your ill-conceived paragraph. boxing_smiley.gif

-Bushwhacking can involve serious danger.

Ask Szy*etc / bwrts about untrustworthy bushes. Haven't you heard of the 'Vegetable Belay'? That can be some sketchy sheet.

Ever done the Terror Creek approach?

On how many half-rotten, mossy logs have you had the honor of slipping umpteen feet into the undergrowth, fearing for the joints in your legs the whole way? You'll be lucky to land minus only a testicle.

-Bushwhacking isn't even proper until you have skis on your back. So I submit it's only properly done by skiers.

I heard some 'climber' bitching about the Access Creek approach when he had only descended it.hahaha.gif That doesn't even count. Infinitely go against the grain...

Bushwhacking majorly helps us escape Tools, chalk trails, encounters with more civilized people, etc. Please don't ridicule it. It is the path to enlightenment.

Just to connect my rant with the original thread, 'climbing' is a good excuse to whack some bush. cantfocus.gif