OR Vs Bibler Vs other reccomendations

littleworker

hi folks

I have been looking at bivi's for a long time. I have had my eye on the OR Adv and Bibler tripod.boxing_smiley.gif

I will use it about once a month all 4 seasons rain or shine. So it needs to be 4 season and preferabley breathable. Id like it free standing because i sometimes camp in sand or on rock in the Sierra's. needs to light. On those 50 miles weekends. 4 pounds tent does not cut it.

I camp all over the mid west and pacific coast. In the sand.

Thanks for your time

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter how many poles and hoops and weather proof zippers a bivy has, the major drawback is that you have to get into it, letting all sorts of nasty stuff in. As such, bivies suck when it's raining/snowing, etc, etc. They rule when you have a drippy snow cave or when it start snowing at midnight when you're already in the bag. A 'fully weatherproof' bivy is an oxymoron. Besideds, if you're willing to accept a 2.5 lb bivy, why not get a 3lb tent and take a lighter sleeping bag, or sacrifice a few GUs?

I managed to get through a nasty storm on Saturday night and I stayed reasonably dry. Condensation is awlays going to be a concern in a bivy.

I use a Bibler bigwall. The Todd-Tex fabric does a nice job distributing the moisture build up from condensation on the top of the sack, but the bottom is yout tripical coated nylon which gets pretty wet.