Dragontail rock?

mvs

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did backbone last year mid-summer when it was about 90 in leavy. It was cool temps the whole time and we got no sun, perfect really.

this weekend looks to be cold. I am guessing the conditions will be very cold and windy.

• 2 weeks later...

Dragontail rock is dry super nice and great to climb right now....go get some!

Serpentine arete:

BP and I left seattle at 9ish. got to S/C Lake parking lot at 1230. colchuck lake 5635' 1402, BaseCamp 5740' 1503, Abcamp 6800' 1542, camp1 on Serpentine route 6920' 1603, camp 2 7885' 1713, top of dragontail (my first time) 8830' 1839, Assgard Pass 7760' 1906, Colchuck Lake 5675' 1920, trailhead 2017 and 38seconds. Lounging at the lake and elsewhere on route approx 1.75 hrs.

Pics to follow via BP; all rock climbing and hiking done sans rope.

gear: shoes, chalkbag, harness, small rack, brandnew 30m rope, water, 2cliffbars, spicy peanuts, two packs, camera, jackets, hats, sunglasses, firstaid kit, bp's flipflops, trailshoes and a lots of slings.

BP and I noted that next time all we need is: shoes, chalkbag, water, small pack, 4 cliffbars, "2" cameras, trailshoes, swimsuits, and beer stashed in the lake.

killer bluedome to partly cloudy weather. bigdrink.gif

Wow, you turned it into a nice hike. We climbed Serpentine last Saturday and had lots of steep cramponing, then a snowstorm on the middle pitches. We used a rope and took 15 hours car to car which I thought was pretty respectable until reading that!

Serpentine arete:

BP and I left seattle at 9ish. got to S/C Lake parking lot at 1230. colchuck lake 5635' 1402, BaseCamp 5740' 1503, Abcamp 6800' 1542, camp1 on Serpentine route 6920' 1603, camp 2 7885' 1713, top of dragontail (my first time) 8830' 1839, Assgard Pass 7760' 1906, Colchuck Lake 5675' 1920, trailhead 2017 and 38seconds. Lounging at the lake and elsewhere on route approx 1.75 hrs.

rolleyes.gif so all that buisness you were doing with your watch the whole time was these split times...tech dood

well, after doing this route with and without (i should say with but not using confused.gif) ropes and pro, the latter is alot nicer. no need to stop at unnatural locations, no dragging the rope thru loose rock, instead playing "hot lava", and stepping only on the solid stone, makes it flow alot better imo, keeping the weight off your back would make the outing as awhole alot less taxing, and give you more time/energy to go and solo the w.ridge of prusik before headin' back to the car fruit.gif at any rate it was a nice day to be in the mountains cool.gif