Paris close to banning SUVs

iain

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gunracks look dumb in Audis. snugtop.gif

JoshK if you love the MOFO Euro's you should really consider moving there and going to school instead of CU. CU is just all rednecky anyways. ooo.gif

CU is totally hippie/yuppie/liberal from everything I've heard.

Moving to Europe is always an optin...my Irish citizenship is being processed, but it takes like a year. More than anything, however, i'd like to see my own country take on some progressive reform rather than have to move to somebody else's country to get it.

Alright as a disclaimer lest I have the shit flamed out of me by truck people--trucks are necessary and important for very many purposes-hauling, sleeping in the back, impressing certain types of women, such and such. But they are not suitable for common commuting in cities.

You are absolutely right!

I think all forms of motorized transport should be banned inside city limits. You don't need a truck or car! Walk or ride your bike. Infact you don't really need shoes either, you can just be careful where you step. We should really reconsider having cities at all, maybe just go back to living in caves, it really is much less impact on the environment to live nekkid in a cave. fruit.gifwazzup.gif

snugtop.gifsnugtop.gifsnugtop.gifsnugtop.gifsnugtop.gifsnugtop.gifsnugtop.gifsnugtop.gifsnugtop.gifsnugtop.gifsnugtop.gifsnugtop.gif

Why are you attacking a point that makes perfect sense? The whole point of tax dollars to is to benifit as many people as possible (such as mass transit) not those that have the time/money/lack of sense to sit in traffic on crowded freeways. What do conservatives have against a society that actually changes and gets better? It's where the word "progress" in progressive comes from.

Why are you attacking a point that makes perfect sense? The whole point of tax dollars to is to benifit as many people as possible (such as mass transit) not those that have the time/money/lack of sense to sit in traffic on crowded freeways. What do conservatives have against a society that actually changes and gets better? It's where the word "progress" in progressive comes from.

Yeah it's right after the secret handshake that we chant "any progress is bad progress, arrrrrgh!" rolleyes.gif

Ya gotta hand it to the advertisers, they've done a fantastic job of providing an image, a commodity, for the wanna-be yupster set.

Try this exercise: Stand on some corner in Puget Sound, Seattle, Mercer Is. etc. Count the number of SUVs that go by and look at the people inside. How many of them do you think could actually get to the top of Mt. Si nevermind Das Toof.

But somehow that vehicle makes them feel like they COULD! The Eddie Bauer interior, 4x4, the new Patagucci parka. Maybe they will lose that 15 lbs and train for the Cleaver route next year. Then again, maybe they'll just drive around and go shopping.

It's rather pathetic how susceptile people are to this stuff. What is it - something to do with a longing for westward expansion, exploration of new lands? Or just filling up that empty space in their lives that needs the continual diet of the latest fashion statement?

How excactly does banning SUV's or unecesary pickups improve traffic?

You guys are misguided if you think this would open up I-5 gridlock all of a sudden.

No I don't think just banning trucks is the answer. Shit, if I look over and see 5 people carpooling to work in an SUV I'm gonna say, "cool, these people aren't idiots," not "godamned SUV." Well, I guess maybe I would still say the latter just out of habit.

I stand by my idea for having another lane designated HOV.

It's rather pathetic how susceptile people are to this stuff. What is it - something to do with a longing for westward expansion, exploration of new lands? Or just filling up that empty space in their lives that needs the continual diet of the latest fashion statement?

You pretty much nailed it right there...

Bronco, I wasn't talking about the banning of SUVs. Justin's idea of opening more carpool lanes is a good one. Basically make it more difficult on single commuters and easier on multi-person commuters.

I dont think you can ban SUVs, but it's criminal that they dont have to meet the same standards as cars. It's a loophole that auto manufactures have been pushing shit through since it's so outdated.

The dodge ram with the cummins turbo diesel option actually gets great mileage, probably better than a lot of cars out there. Problem is like all those big trucks with huge wheelbases (f250 comes to mind) is downtown areas. A pretty stupid choice for people spending time in the city. More than once I have seen them trapped trying to make some parking spot work. They also drive like crap with the stiff suspension and leafs in the back (like so many way overpriced SUVs). They would be eaten alive in Europes big cities.

The TDI stuff from Volkswagen would seem really popular for the commuting crowd. Dunno why it has not caught on, esp. with the gas prices these days.

and where are the SUV hybrids? Since SUV owners obviously don't care about driving performance I cannot believe these have not been rushed to the market. You get the SUV look that everyone seems to want with at least some sanity under the hood.

Josh I dont care what they do with I-5 HOV or SUV or UVRAY lanes. The people effected by it should be able to do whatever they want to collectivly fix it, just like you shouldn't look down your nose becasue someone who lives in the burbs want't to spend their weekend doing this but can't afford 2 vehicles.

I'll admit that it aint easy parking at U Village, so I just don't go down there. Long wheel bases are pretty suck in the woods for the same reason. They are good for mud boggin though.

GOD, GUTS and GOATS! (or is it guns?) blush.gif

DSC00674.JPG

I think it's funny how Justin is suggesting carpooling when he's the one who keeps driving his unemployed ass down I5 ALONE to go board St. Helens for the twentieth time this year. hahaha.gifhahaha.gif

As for even less attractive blonde pop stars, how about Britney?

Oh, and 30 year old yuppie women driving their H2s around downtown Bellevue should be jailed. bigdrink.gif