bored at work? climb K2 : )

gapertimmy

Yes! Someone has heard of "Scream in Stone".

This was a contrived 80's movie starring Euro sport climber Stefan Glowacz, and featured an absurd and horrible storyline loosely, I mean VERY loosely based on the competition for the first ascent of Cerro Torre. I won't go into it further but the movie sucked ass. However, I must admit that the final climactic (?) scene where Glowacz's character, rope soloing, takes a huge whipper into free space whilst trying to surmount the summit ice mushroom (and DIES, after not hitting anything...comparable to Cliffhanger where the woman's Black Diamond harness buckle disintegrates under, gasp, her 110 pound static body weight...) and Glowacz's "rival" hence makes the first ascent, was some awesome photography; the scene was shot from a helicopter in the air over Cerro Torre's (yes the REAL Cerro Torre) summit, the final scene is the man standing on top while the body of the 'dead' climber is seen hanging from a rope in space off the mushroom. It's actually worth finding a copy and fast forwarding to this scene.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you mean "The Mountain", 1956. I agree. "The Climb" about Nanga Parbat also is a little slow, but I was very impressed with the period costumes, equipment and technique. I haven't seen Mission Impossible 2, but isn't there a rock climbing scene at the beginning? Comments anyone?

Snowleopard said: "High Ice. A film in the 80's about rescuers. I never saw this one, but heard it was okay from other climbers."

This made-for-TV movie was pretty bad, but it was interesting from a Northwest perspective. The peak in the film was the unclimbed east face of Whitehorse Mountain in the Cascades. They built a mockup of the face in the Darrington high school gymnasium. They also staged a helicopter crash on the mountain (lots of explosions and fire), impossible these days now that it is a wilderness area. I believe some local climbers helped out as riggers. Finally, David Jansen's character was a crusty old mountain man that reminded me of Fred Beckey.

Lowell Skoog

lowell.skoog@alpenglow.org

Well after reading this wonderful thread over the past week, I have realized a few things: People work about as much as I do (not much that is) and most NW climbers agree that vertical limit will be the apex of all films made in the year 2000.

Each time I see the trailer on TV it sends shivers up my spine, and I find myself wishing I was as cool as Chirs O'Donnel when he jumps across a deep dark void with only ice tools in hand....

So it is with this deep desire to be as dope as the folks in VL that we must unite and act upon MikeA's idea for the opening night of VL. Grab your gear, and your 40 oz, and UNITE. Show your support and love for our sacred bretheren of climbers and come to the movie, and laugh, cry, spill your malted beverage... ohh yes, it will be a memorable evening.

So if you are in, let me know...

Tim

PS- a little know fact about VL is that my fellow mountaindude Jon is actually the stunt double for Mr. O'donnel in VL. He doesn't like to brag about it so go easy on him. Jon along with MikeA will also be staring in an epic high altitude-retro thriller due out in early 2001, stay tuned to the forums for more details.

• 6 months later...

While it is patently obvious that the movie Vertical Limit does not resemble alpine climbing, its entertainment value was priceless. Then again, I'm easily amused and favor cold toilet seats, porcupine underwear and dare to eat at eateries called "Mom's". I looking forward to the sequels.

I like how they made all the alpine suits out of cotton instead of nylon because it looked better on film....

The part about killing off your partners when you are trapped in a snow cave should be in Freedom of the Hills! Looks like a REAL survival technique wink.gif

Maybe they'll make a sequel based on the story of Pope and Donna with pope blasting his way into Donna's panties to rescue her from his fecal impaction shocked.gif

They could call it Pervertical Limit tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by Dru (edited 06-06-2001).]

I must have missed this thread when it was current. There's a movie I saw YEARS ago at the Harvard Exit, way before I was interested in climbing, by Werner Herzog, featuring our man Messner. It was in the himalayas, and Messner and another guy were climbing two peaks back-to-back, but I don't remember what they were. I can't even remember whether it was dubbed into English or subtitled.

(Was it called The Dark Glow of Mountains? That doesn't sound right.)

At one point I found a reference to the movie, and the name of it, and at the time I checked at Scarecrow video, and they don't have it, so I have no idea where you'd find it.

[This message has been edited by Alpine Tom (edited 06-06-2001).]

There are actually some very helpful tips I have gleaned from that movie. For instance Nitro is now my 11th essential along with 5 matches, a bandaid, 2 condoms (that's what they mean by pro right?), a pack of GU and one Depends adult diaper.

[This message has been edited by jblakley (edited 06-06-2001).]

I may have missed it, but I didn't see where anybody mentioned the film "El Capitan". An excellent, somewhat artsy film about a late 70's era ascent of The Nose. Plenty of good, though dated climbing shots (One scene has a guy hammering a bong into the Stovelegs after the King Swing).

There is one scene that stands out in my mind where Lito Tejada-Flores (Games Climbers Play) is getting into his sleeping bag on one of the bivy ledges by standing in it and hopping. While he is hopping about the ledge, his partner casually advises him that he is not clipped in, to which he appropriately replies, "F**K!"

What I wanna know is, how did Ed Viesturs let his name and likeness be attached to a project like that? I heard he gave legitimate technical advice on what climbing an 8000 m peak would be like, and they promptly ignored it. "Hmm, shivering violently in your tent with every stitch of clothing on? No, lets show Chris O'Donnell looking pensive and brave instead, breathing in that fresh mountain air in the Death Zone." Why didn't he just bail on the whole silly affair? I'm sure they paid him plenty, but not enough.

Best lesson from Vertical Lame-it:

If you are dangling on a rope and trying to get a cam into a crack for an emergency anchor*, it's better to use an HB quad cam than a Metolius TCU.

* For instance if you are simulsoloing and another simul soloing party falls on you, or if you are roped to a pot head and he falls off a cornice leaving you dangling by one ice tool...

drul, one thing about your lesson, is when you are 24,000ft wear your gloves. and if you have gloves on, you cannot fit your fingers into the trigger of the quadcam. how do they make that special effect? and was that not the ame ledge that sly and homegirl used for their cliff jumping exposoe'

See Mr. Adamson that's your problem - no limestone. In the CDN Rockies when you spit on slabs it dissolves the rock and makes a hole you can use as a hold. You can also make foothold features by peeing on the rock while climbing.

• 3 years later...