worlds best mountains to trek though

Blakej

If you could go anywhere just to wander though big peaks and be overwelmed by their beauty where would it be. I've had my eyes on baffin and the patagonias. Beautiful rugged peaks and remoteness beyond belief. Anyone got any good personal pics?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'd say the Khumbu is pretty much the biggest and most overwhelming...that I have been to at least. But I wouldn't call it "remotenss beyond belief." The treking infrastucture kinda takes a little away from the experience, but it's cool anyway.

Patagonia is on my list. I'd be happy just to hike around there. Of course there is the Trango Region, but I don't like thoughts of being beheaded.

I guess if remoteness were your thing, Baffin, the Northern Himalaya in Tibet or in Northern India would probly be the way to go...

The Khumbu is not wilderness by any stretch of the imagination. But the Sherpas are the nicest people in the world that I've ever met, and experiencing their hospitality is part of what makes trekking there so great. Plus the trekking lodge infrastucture makes it a lot cheaper and easier logistically. No need for camping or an entourage of servants.

Patagonia is definitely on my list, though. But it's a very long list. It's a big, big world out there.

I trekked around Patagonia, the circuit in Torres del Paine and then on to El Chalten fpr Fitzroy and Cerro Torre. Was there in early fall and had clear weather for almost two weeks with one day of rain/snow in Torres del Paine National Park. No corwds, hiking up into the Valleys with 3,000 ft granite spires surrounding you and not a sole around. Not a single climber in any of the infamous climbers camps like Poincenot around Cerro Torre and Fitzroy, but plenty o' sunshine for over a week! This was late March/Ealr April. Definately worth it. I was spent on climbing after slogging up volcanoes in Ecuador, Bolivia, and Argentina, and was into my fishing and backpacking mode. I don't have anything to compare it to in regards to other major mountain ranges, but want to go to the Himalaya. I was really impressed with the Alaska Range and would love to be in Little Switzerland for a while.

remember what Sir Edmund Hillary said about trekking in Nepal? "Don't go." Deforestation, and catering to westerners, are rapidly deteriorating their traditional way of life. I imagine it's only a matter of time until a McDonalds opens up in Kathmandu. it could serve McMao burgers, placate the rebels while feeding the tourists...

There might be one now...there was a Baskin Robbins 31 Flavors when I was there 4 years ago...

Still, the times have allready changed and now many of the local mountain people rely on the tourist industry as their main income flow. I'm sure they are hurting with travel on the decline in Nepal.

Yeah BC kicks as...the Canadian Rockies are amazing.

Get off your high yak, Beck. Hillary is just pissed that other people are tresspassing on what he likes to think of as his own personal little mountain fiefdom. The Sherpas have to support themselves somehow after trade with Tibet (their main source of income for centuries) pretty much completely dried up after China took over Tibet and did their best to close the border. It's true that there has been a lot of irresponsible development, but it is getting a lot better. For example, wood burning is completely banned. I wish they would also ban plastic bottles, or that the stupid tourists would quit buying them. Everyone I saw with one got a talking to from me.

I feel especially sorry for the lodge proprietors living between Jiri and Lukla who are really hurting. Trekking in that area was always a small percentage of the total, and now it's almost non-existant thanks to the Maoist presence in the region. There is a sad running joke that the the only 2 sources of income that Nepal has are tourism and foreign aid. Sadly it's true.

And no McDonalds in KTM yet, thank goodness.

When I went to the Karakorum I had people with me who had been through the Khumbu, Annapurna circuit, Patagonia, and parts of India. (I have not been to those areas.)

Each one of them said the Karakorum was by far the most spectacular of the mountain scenery becuase there were so many mountains that were so steep and they looked so much more intimidating than anything they have seen.

However, they each said the trek was the toughest they had experienced though. It is definitely not like trekking from tea hut to tea hut in Nepal.