Sil-nylon fabric

JoshK

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup! Thru-hiker is where I found it cheap. Great store! Now I am trying to think of something I can make out of titanium wink.gif

My vote is for some new ti crampons.

One note - Ti is a severe bitch to cut. We played with it a bit a few years ago, trying to make an RC car chassis. We had to apply a lot of pressure on the bandsaw and wait fo rthe heat to cut the metal. IT chewed through bandsaw blades very quickly.

I ordered the fabric so hopefully it will be here in a few days. My project is to create a silnylon version of the megamid floor. I can't justify hauling the heaving floor when I got the lightweight canopy, so I'll try my luck on creating my own. Well, actually, my mom will probably do the sewing, but I'll help cut, etc.

I'll post some pics and a writeup assuming all goes well. I'm hoping it won't be a terribly hard project because it's all big right angle cuts...nothing much precision.

Oh, dude, silnylon is so not what you want to make a floor out of. You ever sleep on a silnylon floor? It's slicker than cat snot on a wet silk scarf! If you are on ground that is even *slightly* tilted, you're sliding that way.

Send the sil back, and then I can put you in touch with a guy who has a roll of Tyvek House Wrap he's selling for a buck a linear foot. The roll is 9' wide, so with shipping we're probably talking 12 bucks for your new floor. No sewing, less slippery, wonderfully low-tech.

I havn't tried the Sil-nylon but I would expect the slippery to be a hassel. It may work if you have one of them tricky pads with the nonskid on the bottom, I don't. I must second the tyvek idea. I have the uber tech footprint, tyvek with duct tape gussets for the corners. Works great and considering I dirt bagged the scrap from a construction site for a gimme it's the best footprint I've tried. cool.gif

Edited by ketch

It is MAJOR slippery. Thing is even if your pad were to not slip too bad on the sil, the sil's slick on both sides. It is so not a good floor fabric.

Ketch, why did you put duct tape on the corners of your Tyvek?? Did you then grommet? I think that would work for grommets, but otherwise it seems like extra you-know-what....

I think the super lightweight and waterproofness of the silnylon make up for the sliperyness. What about adding "dots" of the silicone sealent (quite sticky) to the floor every 12" or something? That might be enough so you could at least keep pads from slipping all over the floor.

You will need to do a bit of reinforcing to put grommets in. Plus in order to do it right, you're going to need to get your hands on a grommet kit.

With the hassle factor of dealing with the sil fabric and reinforcing the corners for the tie-off points, buying one might not be a bad option. They do get the used ones in at 2nd Ascent from time to time, and always have the new ID ones there.