Car makers can sell anything these days...

JoshK

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/futuremodel.aspx?familyid=1060&pictureid=&usage=Image&src=future

"Ford describes the Freestyle as offering the looks of an SUV, the versatility of a minivan, and the confidence of an all-wheel drive sedan. "

Yes, cause clearly the selling point of SUVs is their staggering good looks. Basically they are saying this thing is a cross of a bunch of vehicles and doesn't do any of their jobs very well. hahaha.gifrolleyes.gif

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh, just Ford answering the new category spawned by the Nissan Murano, Chrysler Pacifica, Toyota Highlander, etc.

Looks like shit, not tough or capable like a truck, too big to get good gas mileage, too small to carry a bunch of stuff. I see quite a few of these (Pacificas particulary) around town. Although in Fairbanks the Suby wagon outnumbers any other car by a wide, wide margin. I'd wager that about half the cars on the road up here are s00bs.

The Murano and Pacifica have to be two of the most ridiculous vehicles on the road. I honestly wonder if all those Murano owners even looked at the vehicle before purchasing. I just can't see somebody saying "wow, this is a great looking car"

Asthetically, the Element is just fricken stupid looking. But I do like way it is laid out inside. No carpeting, all rubber mats. Totally functional. The seats back seats come out and it is flat so you can comfortably sleep in it. Even has a plug for your MP3 player. Too bad it is so dumb looking.

snugtop.gifsnugtop.gifsnugtop.gifsnugtop.gif

there's a lot of cross platforming going on by car manufacturers these days. it lets automakers come out with new car models quicker and cheaper than designing one from the ground up. Many 'platforms' will serve as the base for up to six or more different models from car makers. This ford vehicle looks like they will be using a volvo chassis, the hummer2 is on a truck platform, etc. more ways to innundate car buyers with duplicitous cars to capture market share instead of concentrating on making engines that get fifty miles to the gallon like they used to make in the eighties..

and a side note on auto making, the PCV valve, invented in the twenties, that increases mileage and reduces emissions, wasn't required equipment until fifty years later.