good alt route in mid june?

wally

My buddies and i have been climbing for a few years and have a few summits of rainier under our belts. we have only done the DC and wants to get off the beaten path. Our first climb this year will be in Mid June. Any suggestions on a good route? We were thinking the finger or Gib ledge, too late in the season? Greatful for a suggestion

out.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

gib ledges will probably be too late...it's hard to get off the beaten path on rainier unless you're doing something difficult. the kautz sees a little less traffic and might still be okay. the emmons sees a ton of traffic but it'll work then. the success cleaver might be an option too.

If you want to get away from the crowds, it is easy to get off the beaten track on Mount Rainier. 90% of the traffic is on the DC and Emmons routes, and only handful of other routes see much traffic at all (the Kautz Glacier route is one of them). I don't know about the Disappointment Cleaver, but it is probably an OK route in the early season. So is the Tahoma Glacier and the Fuhrer Finger - both without much in the way of technical climbing. Also, look at the Kautz Cleaver and two right-hand routes on the Mowich Face: neither is very hard though they do involve a little bit of technical climbing.