[TR] Mt. Stuart- Stuart Glacier Couloir 5/2/2004

mvs

Climb: Mt. Stuart-Stuart Glacier Couloir

Date of Climb: 5/2/2004

Trip Report:

The route is in good shape. Easy to cross the 'schrund straight on, but soon you'll have to go to the right side. One axe or tool would be enough for the couloir at this point, as it is all good kick-stepping snow. The West Ridge was fantastic, with 2 enjoyable north side pitches that were snowy with big exposure. We did the rock climb in boots.

The traverse to the false summit was very tedious due to baked rotten snow amoung boulders. From there, the rest of the way down the Sherpa Glacier was a piece of pie. No visible 'schrund there yet.

Gear Notes:

ice ax(s), crampons, medium rack with some pins, 60 m rope doubled for rock pitches.

Approach Notes:

You can drive to the Stuart Lake trailhead. Continuous snow starts before the Colchuck Lake turnoff. Expect wet boots and socks!

danielpatricksmith encountered on a boulderfield traverse. If you see him, he will show the way.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

danielpatricksmith encountered on a boulderfield traverse. If you see him, he will show the way.

Oh my god! I also met him, later that week, in the exact same spot! He was hunched over a boulder, mumbling...

67dansun.jpg

Piece of pie. first good neve up to the narrowest part of the constriction, then really wet ice over rock that kind of fell apart as we climbed it. We made a quick dry-tool move or two, then were back on easy snow. One axe would be enough, but I enjoyed finally getting to use my "compact grivel 3rd tool."