Vesper Peak Access??

tobytortorelli

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The people who would know the road conditions to Sunrise Mine (I have made the same mistake) are the Verlot Ranger Station 360) 691-7791. I looked at Vesper from the top of Sheep Mt two weeks ago and the granite slab which is taken to the summit was covered entirely with snow.

• 3 weeks later...

7/2/02

The trail is snow free up to Weden Basin, then it is snow all the way to the base of headlee

pass, then dirt 3/4 of the way up to the pass.

004.jpg

There has been some serious avalanche action up there this year, as the snow you walk on in the basin is covered with tree debris

http://www.nwog.org/images/headleepass070202/008.jpg[img/]

Good snow all the way up to where the snow ends and the where the samll moat is

012.jpg

It is just a short scramble up 3rd class dirt and heather with a little bit of exposure, and for some reason I could not find the sign at the top of the pass this time. Our dog would not get off the snow and jump the moat and do the dirt scramble

019.jpg

So we had to stay at the pass and have lunch and then return down the pass, but got a nice view of Vesper on a perfect day

013.jpg

The downclimb was alot of fun [Eek!]

018.jpg

The traverse after headlee pass was still all snow, but could not tell if it was posthole hell or not on that talus slope or not.

Have fun, let me know how it goes

Are you going to do the north face?

I met some guys at Little Si once who told me about a friend of theirs who was (illegally) riding his mountain bike in the Hoh river valley and thought he heard a ranger on the trail ahead so he hopped off his bike and jumped into the bushes. As he cowered beneath a fern, a cougar attacked him, jumping on his shoulders from behind. The cougar made a mistake, however, because the guy was on the Western Washington wrestling team. He turned around and pinned the beast, it cried uncle, and he let it go. Maybe you should invite him on your Vesper Peak climb.

This could be made into a Movie of the Week special!! "Never Cry Snafflehound" narrated by Fred Beckey. Our hero is hiding from the Tool when he is attacked by a cougar. "You big pussy!" he cries, pinning the thing to the trail. Then we cut to the commercial for Furball brand catnip based bug repellent. [laf]