White River Campground

Colin

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure this info is available somewhere, but I can't seem to find it on the NPS site.

Can one drive to the Ipsut Creek trailhead right now, or is it washed out or something?

If one can drive the Ipsut Creek way, I assume most people would say that is the currently preferrable way to approach Libertry Ridge? It sounds like you have to cross Lower Curtis Ridge no matter which way you approach (assuming a descent of Emmons), it's just a matter of whether you do it on the way down or the way up.

Thanks much.

I'm planning a 5/23 climb of LR. I called the Wilkeson(sp?) ranger station today and the recording said the Ipsut road is open. Several comments elsewhere on the Internet also add you will probably need a "high-clearance" vehicle.

We're wondering the same thing about the descent. I guess if it's not too bad we could descend LR. We were planning on an Emmons descent but that's a LOOONNNNG way!

-Fear

Due to low snow in lower elevations this year, you will probably more than likely able to drive to the Ipsut Creek trailhead.

You will not be able to drive though the White River entrance becuase the gate will still be up.

The only reason why the NPS gates the road at White River is twofold. They do not want uphill traffic to Sunset becuase it is still under a lot of snow, and the campground is still covered under snow at this time.

You can drive to Ipsut Creek right now. Road is open. Has been for awhile (I drove there in January...) White River road is scheduled to open at the end of May. It may be possible that it opens early this year, since the snow is melting melting melting...