Glaciers bucking the trend

JoshK

So obviously it is pretty well known fact that the glaciers are receeding as a whole. Recently I have become really hooked on terraserver and I've actually found a few places where glaciers appear to exist where they didn't on the older topo maps. Below is an example of the Basin just east of Sitting Bull Mountain, in the glacier peak wilderness. You obviously can't tell for sure, but that large snowpack sure lookes like firn to me. Whadda ya think?

NOTE: The topo is at a slightly smaller zoom than the aerial because the topo becomes ridiculously unreadable zoomed any further.

2450sitting_bull_aerial.JPG

2450sitting_bull_topo.JPG

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Josh,

You might find this website interesting. Follow the links...The Whitechuck Glacier has lost an entire km square lobe! It is amazing to see how comparable glaciers with the same aspect, and in close proximity to one another spend their budgets.

As for your 'new glacier' theory, I would not be surprised if you're right. Just look at that little pocket glacier on Slesse that builds up for several years, and then slides/melts away in less than one season...only to rebuild again. That big winter we had in 99 will help pay off some mass/balance equations, but unfortunately the long term glacier-deficit overall continues unabated.

http://www.nichols.edu/departments/Glacier/survey.htm

even better....

http://www.nichols.edu/departments/Glacier/deathglacier.htm

Check out those pics of the Whitechuck! frown.gif

...Meanwhile, a new glacier is forming inside the crater of St Helens!

Edited by Fairweather

Those are some interesting links Fairweather. I hiked through this area with my girlfriend last summer, from the Napequa up the Honeycomb, down the White River glacier to the White Chuck glacier and to Red Pass. We camped on the very top of the Honeycomb and were treated to a spectacular northern lights display. One point of the White River gets squeezed next to some rocks as it goes over a small roll; we were forced to scramble along the rocks as the glacier got too broken to follow. In doing so, we were able to look into the crevasses from the side directly into the glacier, all the way down to the bed. The bottom of the White Chuck is super interesting, the glacier gradually fades into thiner and thiner ice, tiny slits covered with debres and melt water channels. We could hear all the melt water running under our feet, then plop, stepped off into thick mud that presumably had been ice only a few weeks prior. The outwash area is made up of tons of braided channels and new lakes. It's completely baren and devoid of any life.

Great links Fairweather. It's kind of hard to look at that stuff and not be sad frown.gif

The White Chuck glacier is one I have noticed personally. Just as Matt mentioned, the entire bottom basin looks like the moon; totally barren. I made the mistake of trying to walk directly up to the glacier a few years ago. I got stuck in thigh deep mud, volcanic and obviously, as you said, covered by ice not too long before. Pretty gross. It was a rather sad looking area.