Black Dyke freed at Squish?!

Cpt.Caveman

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Dyke was freed in 1993 by Dean Hart (11d) via Movin To Montana start, but the second pulled off the crux hold. Kevin McLane and Dean have a hate going on so the ascent was never in McLanes guidebooks.

Local word is that Matt Maddaloni has freed all of the Dyke but hasnt linked it single push yet.

quote:

Originally posted by crazyjz:

Dru,

No one can claim to free the Dyke untill they free the first BIG roof. Deano didn't do it, so he hasn't freed it. And I hope no one adds bolts to it. I was as scared following it as Rat was leading it.

Bogus rationale. Have you ever tried to lead the "Harting Slot"?

[Eek!][Eek!]

Crazy is right. To not climb such a large feature on a route is clearly not freeing it. It is more obvious if you reverse the portion of the climb that was not free. By your (Dru) rational Lynn Hill freed "Tribal Rights." Anyone with half a brain would see the goofiness in that claim but you are making the same claim whit regard to the Black Dike. This of course in no way takes away from the free climbing that was done.

With regard to the unfreed roof: I say hey if it can be free with bolts, bolt it.

PP

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Puget:

With regard to the unfreed roof: I say hey if it can be free with bolts, bolt it.

PP

so after you bolt that thing and free it. and i come by and free it with gear. you going to remove the bolts or am i???? and i think it is a chimmeny they are talking bout'!! one of my fav! features!!!

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Puget:

PP

so after you bolt that thing and free it. and i come by and free it with gear. you going to remove the bolts or am i???? and i think it is a chimmeny they are talking bout'!! one of my fav! features!!!

Who knows maybe Maddaloni did the roof? BUT I still call Dean Hart & Jon Jones's ascent the first free.

The Harting slot is the permanently-soaking wet, no-pro chimney one must climb to go from Movin to Montana to the black Dyke above the big roof.

I totally diasagree with the idea one must climb big roof to have freed Black dyke. By that criteria Lynn Hill did not climb the Nose Free since she used the chipped Jardine traverse to bypass a bolt ladder & pendulum on the original Nose line. Or Grand Wall does not go free because every move of the Bolt Ladder on the lower slabs has not yet been done free, and Cosgrove avoided the 'fixed rope' pitch with a 13b from the top of Underfling to Perrys.

Yeah I bet Alex and Tomas would do the deed if they came to town. They would probably prefer to work on something like Up From The Skies though. [big Grin]