allison

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by ScottP:

Paraphrase:

"We were lulled onto the route by the guidebook, a reputable guidebook, that said the route was easy."

Talk about not taking responsibility for your own actions...

Doesn't that just make you cringe?

Next thing you know, someone's gonna sue Fred for that whole "obvious gully" thing.

quote:

Originally posted by Fairweather:

Slothrop,

Rush Limbaugh readily admits his conservative bias. Additionally, he never claims to be a member of the "news media". His show is purely entertainment and opinion.

NPR however denies it has ANY political tilt and passes off its soapbox editorials as "news".

I prefer to leave it up to free-thinking people to decide what is news and what is opinion, as well as what is liberal and what is conservative. The lines between those things are thinner than you think, and engaging in pigeonholing is just oversimplification. Limbaugh practically invented the demonization of the label "liberal".

quote:

I do enjoy some of NPR's programing...if for nothing else than to provide me with balance and keep me abreast of what the "other side" is up to.

Wasn't it NPR's Nina Totenberg who wished on-air that Strom Thurmond's children and grandchildren would be stricken with AIDS? ...So much for the "tolerance" of the left.

Well, that would make Nina Totenberg an asshole, just like Fred Phelps. Note that the entire "left" did not wish AIDS upon anyone. Please learn to distinguish between gross generalizations and actual events.

Sloth,

another point worth mentioning would be that NPR is taxpayer subsidized. I don't like my tax $$$ used to promote the anti capitalist drivel I regularly hear on NPR. If they want to slam our system they are free to do so with their own dollars. I don't see this same bias on public TV. Indeed, "Frontline" is one of my favorite shows.

I think the NPR bias debate was over a long time ago. (even Erik recognizes it for goodness' sake!) If they are promoting a certain point of view, they should just say so...and pay their own bills like "right wing" radio does. Who is Fred Phelps?

[ 06-04-2002, 05:31 PM: Message edited by: Fairweather ]

Perhaps you don't see the same *kind* of bias on "Frontline" or other TV or radio shows, but there will always be bias to news coverage. Sure, NPR is biased, no doubt about that. I don't see why "they should just say so", however. You can't always believe what you hear, but there's no reason to say, before every radio program, "this show is biased in this way" blah blah blah. If you want to hear both sides of the story, find (at least) two sources of information.

I like having a publicly funded radio system, it at least makes an attempt to balance the commercially-funded programming that otherwise dominates the airwaves.

"Rev." Fred Phelps is the "God hates fags" guy from Topeka, Kansas. He believes that AIDS is sent from God to kill homosexuals or some bullshit like that. He's known to picket the funerals of AIDS victims. A real frenzied zealot.

PS - Could one of the moderators move the post about Chair Peak to the right thread?

The accident was on the E Face route on Chair Peak. The climbing was easy but the rock quality was poor. I was leading through the rock band on the 4th pitch and slipped, fell about 5 feet, my pro pulled out and then I fell about 15 feet more past the belay ledge. I bounced twice and one of those bounces broke my ankle. We would have rapped down but there were no good anchors on the route, other than the one I fell on. The decent was off the NE Buttress but I couldn't get over to it with a broken ankle. 2 of our party went down that way to call in a rescue. SMR arrived 16 hours later and decided against a rappel due to loose rock and poor anchors on the E Face. They called in a helicopter to pick us up. I don't know what John (Angulo) said , but the whole event had nothing to do with a guidebook "misleading" us. The fact is, our alpine climbing experience prevented us from dying from the fall or from hypothermia, or from making the mistake of trying to get me down without help.