• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
TimL

Ropes

make 'em climb on their ropes...

Can you imagine their eyes when you pull an 8.5 out!?!! hahahaha plus your rope will really last a long time... yelrotflmao.gif

skinner ropes tend to increase the impact force on pieces so i would think about that as well.

skinner ropes tend to increase the impact force on pieces so i would think about that as well.

increase? naw. you wrong. fool.

Ok, since we're on the topic, does anyone currently use the Beal Ice Line (8.1mm)? I'm considering getting one for glacier/ice/alpine climbing...what are your experiences with this rope, if any?

ummm...i think you are a little backward on that one Erik...as the rope gets larger, it slides towards the more static end of behavior...wanna fall on a rubber band (skinny) or a steel cable (big fat rope)???

Larger diameter ropes have larger impact forces... wave.gif

adios! thumbs_up.gif

When you coming up this way???? SHoot me an email ahead of time so i can clear some space on the calender...

The only Beal rope I ever had was WAY soft and had a lousy sheath on it. I never bought another.

For doubles, I've been liking the Edelweiss Stratos. They have a good solid sheath and are stiffer than most ropes their diameter. They also have a filament in them that means they are resistent to being cut over an edge, and they are pretty strong. Hell, I even lead on a single one some times though, properly speaking, they aren't rated for it. You don't often see deals on these, though (they actually cost way MORE than other similarly sized ropes).

Yes, I know: this thread isn't about doubles. But Minx asked.