Hollow Flake Bolted!!

hollyclimber

Check out this sh#t that was posted on rec.climbing, dated today May 22, 2002.

---------------------------------------------

I just got an email from a friend who climbed the Salathe Route on El

Cap this weekend. About halfway up the notorious, unprotected (even by

large cams, though Big Bros would work), character-inducing Hollow

Flake are a pair of big, fat 3/8" bolts. This completely changes the

nature of one of the most famous pitches in American rock climbing.

I wonder how long those bolts will last...

---------------------------------------------

I know some of our posse are in the Valley now...maybe one of the DDD choppers can get to work on this?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think people who are afraid of chimmenies and ow should stay with bolted climbs.....

some people like to lose skin and feel like the need to soil themselves while secretly swearing at the mtn, the route, the belayer and all other inanimate objects within their limited scope of view.......

fawkin weak ass bolt panieses makes me want to................

Messing with the original character of a classic historical route such as the Salathe is just not cool. I agree with Erik, if your not ready to step up to the challange of the gnar...keep off the route.

The bolts will probably be gone by the end of the season. Leaving only an ugly reminder of some ignorant fools stupidity and arrogance.

quote:

Originally posted by richard noggin:

I smell a Troll! You guys are so easy! Really! This is like the virus hoax going around! Only the real suckers would bite on this one. Did you delete the Java debugger file also
[Roll Eyes]

Jim Herson is a reliable source. You may recall that he climbed the Salathe for breakfast, and the Nose for lunch one day. Another day while feeling like a light snack, he did the Salathe and the Reg Route on Half Dome. That ain't no joke.

I met an acquaintance in the Curry parking lot the day after he came down from topping out on the Salathe. He had what looked like a piece of uncooked hamburger the size of a silver dollar on the palm of his left hand and what looked like half a pound of ground round on the back of his arm above his elbow. He said it was the result of arm-barring the Hollow Flake.