[TR] Mt. Baring- NW ridge 3/10/2004

Alpine_Tom

Climb: Mt. Baring-NW ridge

Date of Climb: 3/10/2004

Trip Report:

I'm glad I summitted, because I wouldn't want to look forward to that climb again.

The approach isn't much fun; the climb isn't much fun at all until the last hour or so. HW2 to Baring, take FS road 6024 up to the Barclay Creek trailhead. I had to walk the last mile or so. You follow the fire road (the barclay creek trail descends to the left) about 100 yards, past an obvious snow gully, to the correct stream with the boot trail. There's a 2-foot high cairn in the middle of the road.

It took about an hour to get to the top of the ridge, and quite a while longer to slog along the ridge. I left the car around 10:40, and didn't get to the gully top Fred mentions (where you can actually see the rest of the climb) until about 2:30. From here on, it got much more scenic.

Took another hour to snowshoe down into the bowl, up to the notch, and up to the summit. Then, reversed my tracks with all deliberate speed, to get to the road before dark (I barely made it!)

If you do this climb (and I don't particularly recommend it) get an early start. When you gain the ridge, mark it for your return; there are two trees with blazes on them, one pretty fresh, but had I not been able to follow my footprints, I'd have missed it.

This time of year, Fred's directions are far more useful than the route description in Peggy Goldman's "75 Scrambles" book.

Gear Notes:

snowshoes, ski poles, crampons. Should of had an ice axe for descending from the summit.

Approach Notes:

Road blocked with snow the last mile or so. A 4x4 could probably get through.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

North Cascades? More like Alpine Lakes. Nice TR. I did that several years ago. Getting to the top of the ridge was wet mossy slab interspersed with steep sloping pine needles. The summit is nice though and it is a great workout. I consider it a classic NW climb. It has a barely descernable trail, bushwhacking, Mossy slab, brush aid, route finding by dead reckoning, a breakout to a view, one nice easy snowfield and a stellar summit view.

I took a quick jaunt up to Lk Serene and ate lunch. I had to be back by 3:00 to pick up the kids.

Nice TR Tom!

Bug, Mt Baring sits NORTH of HWY 2 so it's properly placed in the North Cascades Forum.

I think you can easily do the trip in 5-6 hours car to car in late season. However, I also went up there once in April and glissaded down one of the creek beds from the top of the ridge to the road. They were scoured out from spring avalanches. Pretty fun jumping the occasional moat over open water. fruit.gif

North Cascades? More like Alpine Lakes.

Well, that's what I thought too, but the forum says "all Cascade peaks North of Steven's Pass" and Baring is north of the highway, so...

Juan -- no dog (she's just a terrier, for God's sake!) and no job.

Edited by Alpine_Tom

Well, I guess it's how you look at it. I'd consider everything in WA in the north cascades compared to the hillz of oregon. Traditionally, I've always thought of snoq pass north as the N cascades. That is where the abrupt change in terrain happens.

Pargeter's pictorial relief maps has the Alpine Lakes on his North CENTRAL Cascades map,and Beckey's CAG refers to it as 'North Central Cascades(West side)'.Beckey also has Glacier Peak in CAG #2,and,man,if it's not in the N.Cascades,I'd like to know where it is.Pretty much right smack in the middle of everything,I'd say.For sure,Pilchuck is just kind of a foothill,but you can't say that about Glacier.

wave.gifgrin.gifwazzup.gif

Yeah, it's hard to think of things around Boston Basin as NOT being in the N. Cascades, despite where they end up in CAG. I guess every distinction is more or less arbitrary.

But I maintain, and I maintain strongly, that Baring does NOT belong in the "oregon cascades" forum. Ban me if you want.