Pissed off (and pissed on)

bellemontagne

I was just out climbing in Eastern Oregon with children AND a dog. There were about three dogs running loose at the crag (and coincidently, three children with me) but it was one of those pleasant days where everyone got along and no untoward incidents ocurred. I was prepared to leash the dog, but all the dogs became buddies and those climbing nearby assured me our dog was fine when I would anxiously call her back as she would wander off to play ambassador. As for the kids (well, 10 year olds, pretty self contained at that point), after they climbed they removed themselves to the talus field where they drew and (quietly) spun out some fantasy of being on the Oregon Trail. I don't routinely take a dog along climbing, but as this was a 4 day family vacation, complete with unregulated forest service camping (and no NW Forest Pass!)I couldn't leave the beast at home. Seems to me there is no hard fast rule about dogs & kids, other than pay attention and be responsible. I tell ya though, I'd be mortified if my dog (or my daughter) peed on anyone's rope...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like dogs. But only when well behaved and over 30 pounds. (Little dogs = cats.) Any dog that snarls at me will have it's muzzle duct-taped and its ribs crushed. However, in my 25 years of hiking/climbing, I have NEVER encountered such a dog.

I think some of the bad-dog stories come from those who frequent roadside/car campground areas, or those who are just looking for something to be pissed-off about.

I have found that the same hikers and climbers who have an excessive hatred of dogs are the very people who don't like to socialize with other humans just the same.

My 2 cint.