Jazz Remixed

fenderfour

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Call it what you will, but remixed, it ain't jazz. Jazz is all about improvisation which is a very individual and personal thing, in my opinion. The solo is very much the result of the groove that the group creates as a whole. To mix together different recordings is to destroy the context of the solo. You may disagree, but as a musician who has played jazz, that's how I feel about it.

I'm not sure anyone was saying downtempo electronica was "jazz". But out of curiousity I pulled the dictionary definition. I'm not steeped in music theory but one could make a sound argument that the definition describes a lot of electronica. DJs spinning live do incorporate improvisation. It's fine if you don't think a turntable, beat box and synth are "real" instruments, but at the end of the day it's people using machines to make noises that sound cool.

Main Entry: 1jazz

Pronunciation: 'jaz

Function: noun

Usage: often attributive

Etymology: origin unknown

1 a : American music developed especially from ragtime and blues and characterized by propulsive syncopated rhythms, polyphonic ensemble playing, varying degrees of improvisation, and often deliberate distortions of pitch and timbre b : popular dance music influenced by jazz and played in a loud rhythmic manner

funny how all this jazz talk here produces very few cc.commer sightings at some of seattles best live jazz evenings... not that i'm complaining...much better to listen too than spray about- rolleyes.gif i like remixed as well. check out lo-fi on thursday evenings for some ill electronica fusion blending many styles to create an original get-down sound... bugle, trumpet with wa-wa effect, lap-top, lots of keys, and good sound thumbs_up.gif

(snip)

Main Entry: 1jazz

Pronunciation: 'jaz

Function: noun

Usage: often attributive

Etymology: origin unknown

1 a : American music developed especially from ragtime and blues and characterized by propulsive syncopated rhythms, polyphonic ensemble playing, varying degrees of improvisation, and often deliberate distortions of pitch and timbre b : popular dance music influenced by jazz and played in a loud rhythmic manner

"jazz" has 2 senses

2. roll in the hay, love, make out, make love, sleep with, get laid, have sex, know, do it, be intimate, have intercourse, have it away, have it off, screw, fuck, jazz, eff, hump, lie with, bed, have a go at it, bang, get it on, bonk, etc.

If you dig that CD, check out Madlib: Shades of Blue or Yesterday's New Quintet: Angles Without Edges. Madlib is in both bands and about 8 million other projects (I can't wait for Madvillian!) most of which being more hip hop oriented (not rap). These two are not though. On Shades of Blue, Blue Note recording label let Madlib loose in their archives and he remixes some classics (i.e samples beats much like iain's cat does). YNQ is very similar. If you get into those and want some more recs, let me know.

The issue is not as clearcut as the recording industry would have you believe. Five major labels control 85% of the music market to essentially form a cartel. These major labels squeeze out independent labels and put a stranglehold on musicians control of their music.

To get an idea of where these major labels are coming from, does anyone remember the CD price-fixing scandal five years ago?

More information on the controversy surrounding the Grey Album and other issues concerning the recording industry can be found at this link.

There's also an excellent interview with Ian MacKaye of Fugazi and co-founder of Dischord Records. Ian never charges more than $7 for a show (isn't that great!). I don't buy into the hype that CDs should cost $18 or concerts should be $75 nor should you.