Rest Days

Training Cardio, Weight Lifting and Rockclimbing can be tough to juggle. How important are "rest days"?

Do you take one a week? Three days on, one off?

When you take a "rest day" does that involve some light cardio?

What about this schedule?

Day One: Rock Climbing or Bouldering (2-4 hours)

Day Two: Weights (muscles not used in rock climbing)

& Cardio (30-60 min, very strenuous, and 30-60 min, very light)

Day Three: Light Cardio (90-120 min)

Day Four: Rock Climbing or Bouldering (2-4 hours)

Day Five: Light Cardio (30-60 min)

Day Six: Alpine Climb

Day Seven: Rest Day

Repeat.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find the best training for climbing is climbing...just lift the pushing muscles...it'll give you more rest and more time to climb...

For me, rest days are very important...i'm 35 so not old, but definitely not young...i climb so much better when i factor in rest...

My schedule is similar:

Monday: Gym climbing (1.5 - 2 hrs)

Tuesday: Weights (1.5 hrs) + 40 min cardio (stairs + elliptical)

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: Gym climbing (1.5 - 2 hrs)

Friday: Weights (1.5 hrs) + 40 min cardio (stairs + elliptical)

Saturday: Rock or Gym climbing

Sunday: Alpine, snowshoe, or ????

I do nothing on my rest day.

Schedules never stick. Just think about what you're lacking when you have time to exercise, and try not to go all out the day before an important climb.

I did the Mark Twight workout to the letter about 4 years ago and found it to be schweet. I pretty much just followed his schedule 3 on 1 off. It took many hours figuring out a system from the book, but it was worth the effort.

gripped's schedule, where you go alpine climbing on one day of the weekend and do nothing on the other, seems kinda weird. and by "rock climbing" I believe he means "gym climbing" cause what crag would you go to for only 2-4 hours?

On those occasions when I train I start off by planning that both weekend days will involve extertion of some sort whether it be slogging or cranking and go from there. Monday is usually a good rest day if you go all out both weekend days. Thinking this thru the rest of the week you can have Tue, Wed and Thur as more workout days and then on Friday either you go out and party or drive to your weekend objective, so its a rest day either way. Assuming you work that is. If you don't work, then just take bad weather days as training or rest days, and climb the rest of the time.

Schedules never stick. Just think about what you're lacking when you have time to exercise, and try not to go all out the day before an important climb.

I did the Mark Twight workout to the letter about 4 years ago and found it to be schweet. I pretty much just followed his schedule 3 on 1 off. It took many hours figuring out a system from the book, but it was worth the effort.

You're right about schedules not sticking... but I like to keep it up for a few weeks in winter/spring so I can be ready for some nice weather and some long approaches.

I'm reading Twight's book right now... that's what prompted the question. I was thinking of changing my routine this year.

gripped's schedule, where you go alpine climbing on one day of the weekend and do nothing on the other, seems kinda weird.

What can I say? I'm whipped.... My woman says, pitty.gifboxing_smiley.gif

and I say cry.gif more alpine cry.gif!

and by "rock climbing" I believe he means "gym climbing" cause what crag would you go to for only 2-4 hours?

True- for about half the year I'm pulling plastic. When there is enough light, I like to head up to Index or Little Si after work for some outdoor cragging.

On those occasions when I train I start off by planning that both weekend days will involve extertion of some sort whether it be slogging or cranking and go from there. Monday is usually a good rest day if you go all out both weekend days. Thinking this thru the rest of the week you can have Tue, Wed and Thur as more workout days and then on Friday either you go out and party or drive to your weekend objective, so its a rest day either way. Assuming you work that is. If you don't work, then just take bad weather days as training or rest days, and climb the rest of the time.

In the summer&fall, I tend to do more all-weekend outings. At that point I'm sure I'll settle into a Monday&Friday rest schedule as most weekend warriors do.