Portland Area

carolyn

I will be in Portland this Saturday thru 5/23ish and I have a few questions...

(I know this isnt a "hiking site", but if anyone can help me on this I would appreciate it)...

Can you suggest a 10-20 mile, loop preferably, moderate-difficult, with a bit of altitude, in the Hood or Gorge area? Ive had the Ruffel ridge trail (spelling?) suggested. The zigzag mtn trail also seems to fit what Im thinking (anyone been on it before?).

Possibly looking to fill in another day or two and would like to hit a local crag...anyone interested?

And hows about a pubclub that week - maybe wednesday? anyone plan on [big Drink] ? Mmmmmm budweiser! [Razz] j/k...I promise to venture out and try a Terminal Gravity brew. [Wink]

Thanks!

carolyn

[ 05-14-2002, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: carolyn ]

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

carolyn,

i dont know how long the hike is, but one of the coolest in the gorge area is the eagle creek falls trail. i know oyu can loop it with another trail. but it has been years since i have done it. though the waterfalls are amazing and this would be a good time to see them as we enter peak snow melt snow.......

Eagle creek is mellow and beautiful, but decidedly crowded, save for midweek. Options for loops and increased difficulty by way of Benson Creek trail and others.

Ruckle Ridge is what I think you are thinking about - great long walk and amazing high meadows. GREAT loop up the ridge trail then back down Ruckle Creek trail. The ridge trail is mostly unmaintaned and has some great easy scrambling and views on the way up. Tough to find though, access is via the campground at the base of the ridge. There is a guidebook I have somewhere that gives a bit more detail on finding the TH if you are interested, let me know and I'll take a look for it.

Have fun!

There is a sign at the South end of the campground indicating some other trail... Follow it (maintained until you get to a high-tension power tower) and just keep to the right at most of the breaks in the trail. Great trail, a bit of elevation gain (like 3600 feet) over 2-3 miles. The continuation of the loop is the Ruckle Creek trail (about 5 miles back down) which you run into in the flats (relative) at the top. After you cross a stream the trail is faint and heads left.

It is a lot of fun and you rarely run into others on the Ridge section. Oh yeah -- park at the outer Eagle Creek parking lot (by the fish hatchery).

Good info folks. I was the one who originally suggested this hike to C. The beginning is kind of non-descript when you're climbing the initial talus/scree to gain the ridge. Once you get into the flats up top, around where the trail crosses the small creek, there is a wooden trail junction sign that'll let you know you're on track. The creek trail (return section of the loop) takes off left from there and loops back the way you came, but down the valley that was on your left on the hike in. You can not get lost on this section...just follow the creek down (trail is very used too). We parked at the outer lot next to the old restroom building. I belive the exit off Hyw 84 is number 51, the exit sign says "Eagle Creek / Fish hatchery" or something very similar. The initial section of trail we used to gain the ruckel was another trail...butler or buck or something...anyone?

This was the first hike I did in Oregon, and still remains my favorite...of course the Eagle Creek trail is amazing too, but WAY crowded. We didn't see another person on the Ruckel...there was about 2 feet of snow on the upper half whe we did it so that might have been a factor. Regardless, the views are awesome, the elev gain is enough to get your body workin but not enough to wear you down. I thought the gain was in the mid 2000 range? It's been well over a year since I hiked it, and that's alot of bong tokes ago.

Hey thanks for all the info thus far!

I did a search on Ruckle Creek Trail and found this site. Looks like there is some decent info on that page. Im really looking to do an overnight or two...in the gorge do you need any particular camping permits? do you have to camp at designated sites or can you camp off trail?

Im not afraid of snow either (hey Im from Minnesota! [Wink] ). Keep the ideas comin' if you have more, please! [smile] Really do appreciate it.

quote:

If you order a Bud here, you might go home in a body bag

[laf]

I dont know, I felt much at home drinking my bud at the ta"VERN" accross from where I was staying last time I was in town. [Wink]

Actually, I am very much into microbrews and look forward to having some new flavors hit my tastebuds!

I just like to joke around about the budweiser...because, well...its the king of beers! [Razz][big Drink][Razz]

Carolyn--

Last time you were here in sunny portland you stayed across from the VERN?!?!?? Perchance you were staying with some friends of mine. I used to live right around the corner from the Vern. I don't recall it serving BUD though. I was strictly a Hamms drinker there.

As for camping in the gorge: I've spent many nights along that area and never stayed in an established campground. I think some of the parks charge the wilderness pass fee (I know Eagle Creek does or did the last time I contemplated an overnighter there) to park there. Since I won't pay the fee I didn't park at any of the trailheads. There are literally hundreds of camping spots along the gorge trail system and you can easily avoid people if you practice common sense.

I camped one time at the top of Dog Mountain to watch a meteor shower at a time when the only trail options were "difficult" and "most difficult." That case of beer got mighty heavy by the time we reached the top.

quote:

Originally posted by carolyn:

I will be in Portland this Saturday thru... (And hows about a pubclub that week - maybe wednesday? anyone plan on
[big Drink]
? Mmmmmm budweiser!
[Razz]
j/k...I promise to venture out and try a Terminal Gravity brew.
[Wink]

carolyn

Carolyn, they call Portland "beervana" for a reason. If you order a Bud here, you might go home in a body bag [Wink] except that people are too mellow to confront you [Cool] It's the microbrew capital! Do yourself a favor and sample the local goods, with spring rolling there are all sorts of lighter bodied beers if you're not up for the stouts and porters. Of course you have to try TG's IPA, and perennial local faves include Deschutes' Mirror Pond Ale, Bachelor ESB, Black Butte Porter; Portland Brewing's Blue Heron Ale, Black Watch Cream Porter; Bridgeport's IPA, ESB; Widmer Bros Hefeweizen; Full Sail's Pale, Amber,...you can find those bottled in about any store selling beer. I've never had a beer from the Lucky Lab that I disliked. Explore on all fronts! A visit to the Horsebrass Pub will yield a huge selection of local, british, and other international brew. Likewise the Produce Row Cafe. Don't miss the Thai, Vietnamese, and Indian food in town either, west coast is rampant with excellent asian food. Suggestions: Swagat for Indian. Pho Hung for Vietnamese specialty soups (pho). Saigon Kitchen for std viet and thai fare. Thai Peacock, Beau Thai, Lemongrass(my pref)for std Thai. Mmmm lunch time!

WRT Eagle Creek: once you get past Tunnel Falls the crowds drop off. You can make a big loop (sort of) by connecting with the PCT at Wahtum Lake and then heading back north towards Cascade Locks. I did this as an overnighter many moons ago.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this one (maybte its too long?) but the Timberline Trail around Hood is another crowded classic. This time of year might not see a lot of folks on it though since there is probably still quite a bit of snow in various places. Now that I think about it, maybe thats why it has not been mentioned yet. D'oh!

The whole gorge area is one big trail system. You can link together different segments to create your own loop.

Good luck and have fun.

• 1 year later...

I think I remember...

*Dog Mountain

*Angels Rest (?) I think I remember doing 2 of them with that name or similar names.

*Saddle Mountain

*Eagle Creek (no hills, but never the less, BEAUTIFUL)

TG met me for breakfast on that trip with a fully loaded truck of beer. He also had to suffer thru my first experience driving stick, before I took the car out to the gorge on my own. Ithink I scared him!

Also spent 2 weeks in the N.Cascades, did my first multipitch climb (with erik) in Lworth AND climbed Da Toof with Michelle and Figger8.

Edited by carolyn

• 1 year later...

Actually, 3 years ago. Just thought it was time for our yearly chat about the fun hikes near Portland.

Barjor, I've wondered if there was a trail coming North off the top of Table Mtn. I came at it from the other side one time in November (from the saddle to the North of Table), and I ended up bushwhacking. I must have missed the trail.

Yes there is a trail going north coming off the table. It follows the top of the ridge heading north , mostly just on the west side of the center and then drops of to the east side off the ridge towards the end. It ends at a gravel road right where the ridge ends there are also some power lines crossing at that point. Take a left on the road and you will get back to the PCT trail.

Edited by barjor