bowline vs fig 8

minx

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly, it just really doesn't matter which knot you use...knot failure is extremely rare and is (i'm throwing a stat out there, but i don't really know) almost always due to a crappily tied knot...

Indeed, knot failure is unrealistic in normal climbing scenarios. A recent study showed that poorly dressed knots are not significantly weaker than well dressed knots (I'll try and find a link, but the info came from the AMGA). In fact, an unfinished figure 8 (the tail was not brought back through the side of the 8 away from the climber) failed rather close to the same force that a properly tied figure 8 did. Thus, when you tie your knot correctly, you are backing it up - no dinky little backup knot needed.

I'm not much of a sport climber, but I've found that when I take a significant fall on a figure 8 knot, it is still plenty easy enough to untie if it is dressed properly. Also, fig 8's are easy for your partner to check. They are symmetrical, whereas bowlines look a bit different when you flip the knot over. However, Double bowlines shine when used for taking dozens of little, harsh sporto falls on a soft rope.

Whatever - if you can't tie a knot tie a lot.