Clipping 101

sk

When I'm teaching kids to lead, I tell them to visualize a correct clip like a waterfall. That is, the rope is the water flowing from their belayer and it spills out from against the rock behind the biner, over the top of the biner (the waterfall), and then out to the climber.
Yep, I know. Kim and I were discussing it at the gym last night. I just wanted some more insight and disussion. Thanks to the link that Lummox posted the little lightbulb that I needed went on. I have found that I climb realy instinctivly, and when I try to TEACH, I over think what I know and struggle with it. So I have to re learn or recheck what I think I know... better safe than sorry.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when I try to TEACH, I over think what I know and struggle with it.

I ran into that same problem trying to teach someone to tie their figure 8. I can do it easy as breathing, but he was doing it so strangely (including him being a righty and me a lefty), when I tried to do it myself, I couldn't do it. Watching him do it completely wrong made me think about it too much.

You'll never get your Mountaineer's knot-tying merit badge with that sloppily-tied eight there cracker.

p.s. Is that your dorm room or something?

Where is the bong dude!!?!?! hahaha.gif

Disclaimer: Knot only meant to illustrate which end of the rope you're tied into! Knot not properly made to hold a fall! shocked.gif

Bongs are in the drawer behind me. boxing_smiley.gif

Thanks to every one for your feed back. I feel a million times better and more confident now that I can SEE what I was doing wrong.

You all are a great resource. so far every climbing question I have ever asked on cc.com has been answerd beyond all expectations. I know I goof arround alot here (on cc.com), but I realy do love to climb. I have reached a personal plateaue, IF I am going to progress as a climber, I have to start to lead seriously, and stop goofing arround at the collums. I have had a big learning curve as none of this is easy for me. I am not an athletic person, so not only have I spent the past 5 years learning to climb, I have alos spent the last 5 years learning to be active.

thanks again bigdrink.gif

5 years to learn how not to backclip????? yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyelrotflmao.gifwell...that's the hardest part!

Young lady...go lift hard, train hard, be NOT scared, fall a ton on stuff over yer head (and tell anyone who gives you grief to f-off), go try some onsights, do a bit of groveling/bein' scared but not in a death situation, listen to Distel32 and boulder as much as you can (and tell anyone who gives you grief to f-off), go on as many roadtrips w/ different people as you can possibly manage to as many different areas/types of climbing, and never pass up a free tr on something (even if you or others think you got no game being on it)...

in short have fun while you climb and most importantly, just go and climb!!!!

5 years to learn how not to backclip????? yellaf.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gifyelrotflmao.gifwell...that's the hardest part!

Young lady...go lift hard, train hard, be NOT scared, fall a ton on stuff over yer head (and tell anyone who gives you grief to f-off), go try some onsights, do a bit of groveling/bein' scared but not in a death situation, listen to Distel32 and boulder as much as you can (and tell anyone who gives you grief to f-off), go on as many roadtrips w/ different people as you can possibly manage to as many different areas/types of climbing, and never pass up a free tr on something (even if you or others think you got no game being on it)...

in short have fun while you climb and most importantly, just go and climb!!!!

let me start off by saying F@CK OFF RUDY tongue.gif

ya ya I am a slow learner. but the point is that I have never back clipped before this winter. I haven't lead much... but again, I am LEARNING thats why I ask dumb questions. so I don't STAY DUMB grin.gif