[TR] Broughton Bluff- Gandalf's Grip (5.9+) (Plus what, I want to know?) 2/10/2004

goatboy

Climb: Broughton Bluff-Gandalf's Grip (5.9+) (Plus what, I want to know?)

Date of Climb: 2/10/2004

Trip Report:

Climbed this nice three pitch line yesterday at Broughton on a clear, warm day.

I had never been on it before, but thought it would be well within my ability. I found it to be remarkably steep and strenuous for the rating!

Encountered 2 bats angrily screeching at me on the first pitch. It was unnerving, as I was reluctant to stuff my chilly fingers into the crack, but had no choice.

I fell off (right above the last bolt) leading the first pitch after mis-reading the sequence and pumping out. The proper sequence is: Grab the huge handholds and pull up. Instead, I grabbed other things and fell down.

I also casted off on the third pitch, a soaking wet offwidth.

Both places where I fell, it was due to me missing some obvious holds -- I guess I was off that day.

I highly recommend the route -- it was shady and the rock was cold, but the weather is sweet and warm enough to climb it in a t shirt, which we did.

From the top, there is a great view of Mt Jefferson to the south.

Gear Notes:

Small stoppers and aliens were helpful

Should have had: Shoes to walk off with on muddy trail

Approach Notes:

muddy and full of kids and dogs

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, very good pro -- bomber camalots up to # 3. I can say the pro was bomber with certainty, as I did in fact fall onto it!

The climbing itself was rather challenging, however, given the slick wet rock. I also was attacking the crack head on (it overhangs slightly) rather than back stepping to a big, obvious foothold (essentially defeating the overhang by stemming backwards). I found the obvious foothold and climbed it more easily after falling off the first time.

There is also a fixed chain anchor up there near the top of the offwidth, which I was able to clip as pro before topping out and walking off. bigdrink.gif