MSR pumps

Jedi

Sorry if this has already been posted.

MSR has made a few mods to their 04 pumps. According to MSR, the new pumps will look like the old ones. They have reconized that their pump design had some weak points and have essentially made those conponets more duable. If you want a newer pump, they sell for $29.95.

Jedi

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The girl I talked to mentioned the piece that holds the plunger in when you draw the plunger out. It had some small "L" shaped brackets that held it in place. They broke on occasion so they beefed them up. There were a couple other things she mentioned but I forget now.

I just called MSR and talked to someone in customer service. Sorry I didn't remember more details. Just thought I would mention it in case someone had a big trip to South America or something and maybe wanted a little more piece of mind.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the first generation pumps were the best. If you opened them up too wide they sprayed fuel all over the place but hey: everything has its drawbacks, right? I think these (yellow ones) were BEFORE they started having O'ring problems and they were definitely BEFORE they had the pop-out plunger issue. The original GK stove rocked, too.

The Whisperlite seems to do OK as long as you use expensive fuel, but it does seem to foul easily and it is a mess to take it apart and try to clean it in the field. An engine combustion guy once told me that the spreader design is appropriate for preasurized gas, but apparently not for liquid fuel.

The girl I talked to mentioned the piece that holds the plunger in when you draw the plunger out. It had some small "L" shaped brackets that held it in place. They broke on occasion so they beefed them up.

This is for cracked who probably has a different design.

This poor design actually was the fault leading to another issue rendering the leather valve to tear and so on....