BC Ice Tour 1/2-1/4 (NEED FAST CONNECTION)

JayB

Many apologies to those with slow connections. Here's a bunch of pics from the trip this weekend - including some of the ice visible across the river from Highway 1 in the Fraser Valley.

CAYOOSH CANYON ICE

1282Synchro.jpg

Synchronicity

1282Carl_s_Berg.jpg

Carl's Berg

1282Shreddie.jpg

Shreddie

LILLOOET AREA

1282Honeyman.jpg

Honeyman Falls

BRIDGE RIVER

1282JadeFalls.jpg

Jade Falls

1282OldDogsNewPicks-med.jpg

Old Dogs New Picks. Double Click on the image in the gallery for a much larger image.

1282MichelmoonorHellCreek.jpg

Michelmoon/Hell Creek Area Ice (?)

1282BtwnODNPandSilkDeg.jpg

Scary Looking line somewhere between the Old Dogs New Picks area and the Silk Degrees/Salmon Stakes area. May have been climbed by Polish Bob a few years ago?

1282SilkDegrees.jpg

Silk Degrees

1282SalmonStakes.jpg

Salmon Stakes

1282MaybeGift.jpg

The Gift (I think). Might be The Theft.

1282MaybeTheft.jpg

The Theft. Might be The Gift.

1282MaybeShriekofSheep.jpg

Shriek of the Sheep - I think.

1282MaybeNighnGale.jpg

Night n' Gale

FRASER VALLEY ICE

1282SawmillCreek1.jpg

Ice in the vicinity of Sawmill Creek, across the Fraser River Valley from Highway 1, North of Yale.

1282SawmillCreek2.jpg

More Sawmill Creek Area Ice

1282SawmillCreek3.jpg

Still more Sawmill Creek area ice.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

jay,

good photos for inspiration. u mostly got it right.

comments/clarification:

*** synchronicity photo: that's synchrotron at left.

*** old dogs photo: that's steristrip far left - all ice this year, except for the turf-tooling exit - exciting!

*** michelmoon is michelmoon

*** the "scary looking" thing is house of cards; FA tom bridge and greg white, dec'96; grade 6, of course.

*** the gift and the theft are correctly identified

*** ditto shriek

cheers,

I don't think it's really formed at the moment. I looked at it from the road over the weekend and the main curtain hadn't touched down. I don't think I've ever seen it in as fat as the picture in the guide. In fact I don't think I've seen it form up.

Don?... "Three Ring Circus; fact, ephemeral or outright myth. Discuss".

Hey Ade,

I'm not sure why TRC is so ephemeral, it's too bad as the access is so easy. I can only remember it forming one season while I was in Lillooet ('91 to '02). There really isn't any way for the water to get diverted out of the channel, it must go sub somewhere along the way. I've done lots of mtn. biking adjacent to it and the whole hillside appears to be exfoliating (a big creeping landslide), lots of tight horizontal rolls and even some 30cm fractures that I've seen other creeks disappear into. Maybe it's all that logging, the carcasses of spotted owls are clogging up the channel... smirk.gif

Wow, those photos are great, but this page is kind of a pain to discuss routes on!

Anyway, it was weird...Three Ring Circus looked better before Christmas than it did afterward.

Hey, Since we are talking routes in that area, does anyone know about the striking pillar up the hill and across the river past TRC, just before you get to the first bridge (Snychro parking area). It is right about when you crest the hill and start going down.

It looks like some WI2 pitches up to a 50ft free hanging pillar that has touched down. Looks sweet! Seems like you could approach allong the river from the bridge.

Hey Lambone that pillar you mention is the central of the unclimbed "Three Sisters" gullies. takecrampons for sidehilling frozen dirt if approaching along river. it's about 1km.

fucking amazing looking eh! don't think it's touched down all that frequently