Mt. Hood

Ced

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But seriously...

A good option is to stay at Hood River. There you have your pick of several low-elevation campgrounds (with full facilities) or motels or hotels. It only takes about 45 minutes to drive to Timberline Lodge (your starting point for the South Route) in the wee hours of the morning when there is no traffic on the road.

There are a couple of campgrounds along the Columbia River--most notably one just west of Hood River--but the closest one to Mt. Hood in the area is south of Hood River along one of the main rivers flowing into town (either the Dog River or the Hood River). For the life of me I can't think of the name of it, but it's where a lot of climbers and windsurfers camp. Others could probably say what the campground's name is.

Hope you summit. A couple of summers ago I was up there to climb Mt. Hood around July 2 and it was snowing heavily at Timberline so we bagged climbing it.

The name of that park I was talking about whose name I couldn't remember:

TUCKER PARK Campground.

Info on the park can be obtained with a simple search on the internet. It's probably 25 minutes from Timberline.

If you're driving all the way from Vancouver, why camp in the parking lot when you can be more comfortable in the campground (costs about $15)? The South Route is not a huge undertaking so there is no need to camp so close to the trailhead in order to get an early start. I've heard of people doing the climb in as little as 5 hours roundtrip car-to-car.

Oldclimber, just find a back corner in the parking area and nobody will usually mess with you. Your suppose to have one of those sno park passes, but if you finish your climb early in the morning, you will be done before they can give you a ticket. Some of the disadvantages of camping there can be the noise of grooming equip. A lot times the bathroom in the climbers cave is locked in the winter and spring, which can be a problem if you need water or need take care of some business. Do not bother trying the Lodge, its locked up and they will not let you in. Advantage is your close, if your doing any routes on this side of the mountain(and its free).

Ced,

car camping is very doable. but be back at your car before mid day because that when the cop usually makes his rounds. We got back to the car and saw him closing in....so we wasted no time and we threw all our shit in the back our truck and got out of there before he could get to our car. i hear the tickets are big ones too [Frown]

have fun,

Aidan

There are a number of campgrounds within 15 minutes or so of Timberline. They may not be all that comfortable at this time of year (i.e. snow on the ground). I'd bivvy in my truck in the t-line parking lot. Watch out for jonny issuing citations for not having a snow park permit.

Take skis. Enjoy the ride.

A lot of people car camp at T-line. Most people park in the lower lot and it never seems to be a problem for anybody. During the summer(and even winter) you will see motorhomes and campers parked in the lot next to the lower lodge. I have never been, or seen anyone rousted and told to get out.

$70 fine for not having a permit. Permit costs $15. Anyone with a scanner can make copies and distribute at will. Of course I would never do that myself.

If you do get a ticket, photocopy someones permit and mail it in with your check. They'll drop the fine. Worked for me.