Surfing!

EWolfe

It looks like I may be going to Costa Rica in February to learn how to surf! grin.giffruit.gif

Never done it before, but have always wanted to try. My buddy goes every year and says it's awesome and cheap.

Looking for board recommendations, info on San Jose or Costa Rica in general. Any help is appreciated. I am so pscyhed!!

Thanks bigdrink.gif

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy a cheap longboard when you get down there - most airlines charge you a bloody fortune to travel with boards these days (Alaska is $75 per SEGMENT) and when you add in the cost of a board bag, packing, the hassle etc. your better off buying something when you get down there. Plus you'll probably thrash your first board. For info on Surfing in Costa Rica - pick up a copy of Mike Parise's Surfer's Guide to Costa Rica (available cheapest, fastest, and autographed direct from his website surfingtravel.com). I'm jealous.

Agree with cj on buying or even borrowing a board down there. Plus, most people just sell them before they leave. Places to go learn: On the Carribena side think of Beach Break just south of the town of Puerto Viejo, an afro-carribean culture on the southeastern tip of costa rica just north of the border from Panama. Black sand beaches, pick up soccer matches on the beaches in the evenings with rastas, surfing all day, and you can rent bungalows on the beaches for less than $100/month. If on the Pacific side think about more remote beaches than the trendy Quepos area. O.K. surfing, but alot of tourons and thieves in the beach community. There is, however, a locals surf spot just south of the beach break where surfers jump off a cliff and paddle like mad to beat the freshwater crocodiles to the ocean! The Northern pacific coast has some really cool places like Playa Narjana (Haystack rock I believe) in Santa Rosa National Park. This area is remote and you will need a car as it is thirteen kms to the beach down a desert sand road. Also there are some excellent beach breaks on the Nicoya Peninsula like Playa Negra. Once you get really good, you will be able to attempt the Salsa Brava reef break in Puerto Viejo. Salsa Brava is rumored to break a board per day and the local reggae bar has broken boards tacked to its walls to prove it. There is a guy in Puerto Viejo who shapes boards and he let us borrow his demo boards for two weeks. He lives a bit outside of town up in the hills but within walking distance from the beaches. Have fun, wish I was going back!

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought my ticket! Feb 13-23rd!!!!

10 DAYS OF SURF AND SUN!!!

fruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

For info on Surfing in Costa Rica - pick up a copy of Mike Parise's Surfer's Guide to Costa Rica (available cheapest, fastest, and autographed direct from his website surfingtravel.com). I'm jealous.

Thanks for the book tip, cj. Got it in my hot little hands yesterday thumbs_up.gif

WooooHoooo! C'mon Lummox!

rockband.gifgrin.giffruit.gifmushsmile.gifwave.gif