telemark turns in 10" of pow

thelawgoddess

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I hear it's a lot harder to do that on tele gear due to outside foot leading the turn.

not if you don't over turn and get sideways to the fall line... tlg, equal weight on skis, don't get to low in your stance...

an exercise an instructor taught me last year has been helpful. Start off parallel turning facing down the fall line, then (after about 5-6 turns) staying in the same rhythm switch into tele turns. Maintain the same quiet upper body and turning from the hips.

it appears our esteemed iain has gone from posting on teletips to offering endless advice on DECIDEDLY TELE THREAD on a topic about which he professes to know nothing. i tried to warn you all of this frieghtening trend but was generally scoffed at.

law honey: pretend you are holding a grapefruit between your knees; it will keep your shizzle tight. too many budding telemarkers start learning on the piste and stick that rear ski back because they think that's how it's supposed to look right? bzzzzzt. stick that ski too far back and it won't be weighted. having that rear ski less than weighted won't screw you on a groomer but try that in the deep stuff and it's head plant city.

or it could be something else.

I think the biggest difference in powder is your weight distribution. When I was first learning to tele I spent a full day experimenting with different techniques in the powder, and found I progressed most when I really loaded the weight onto my back ski as I came 'round the turn. I now ski with pretty even pressure on both skis, but deliberately exaggerating the load on the back ski for a while really helped me make sense of things.

By leaning forward I have found you can gain some control because by allowing the body to tilt forward your legs need to keep moving to conterbalance. Mind you, this is on steeper terrain and closely placed trees where you can gain some semblence of speed. I find that I tele less and less on flatter terrain chosing to downhill instead. Really, there are a thousand ways to turn in 10 inches of powder and the best advice I could give you is to call in sick everyday there is 10" of powder and go ski it grin.gif

yeah, the living situation here is pretty ideal. when there's enough snow i can ski all the way to the front door of my apartment building. and all that separates me from where i live and where i work is a 4-minute "chondola" ride. or an even shorter ski ... but it's a little too dark (and cold) to do that by the time i get off of work. and no, i don't sling drinks; i look at paper and move numbers around on excel spreadsheets. cantfocus.gif

don't know that guy you mentioned but i'll try to remember to tell him hi for ya if i happen to run into him one of these days.

hoping for another 10" tonight ... grin.gif