100 Years of Flight

RobBob

Today at 10:35EST marks 100 years since the Wright bros got their first few seconds of powered flight. (Warren Buffet once said "they should have shot Orville down.") There is quite a celebration taking place over on Kill Devil Hills, about 75 miles as the crow flies from my home. There will be a reenactment if the weather cooperates, which it appears it will (20-25mph winds; a balmy 62 degrees). Bush will speak there this morning. Hell, even Google is getting in on the act.

flight.gif

Actually, thinking about the amazing changes in human life during the past 100 years has me reluctantly becoming a greenie. After all, quite a large percentage of the messes that we have created for ourselves on Earth's crust have happened in just that time period. Think about the divergent paths that humanity could take in this next 100 years, and what a huge difference it would make in the way the world looks by then.

I still come back to population control as the best means of environmental control. There are 4 times as many people on Earth now as there were 100 years ago! Maybe the next SARS or the like will curb what we as a world community do not have the gumption to even discuss: controlling/reducing world population.

My ramble for the day. fruit.gif

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a thng on CBC the other day about how they are having difficulty building a replica plane and getting it to fly. Sounds like they were really lucky to get off the ground at all, blush.gif let alone keep it under control. Makes it all the more impressive to me. laugh.gif

did they hire a couple bicycle mechanics? that might be the problem. grin.gif

Bush honors anniversary of first flight

Effort to re-enact flight falls short

Wednesday, December 17, 2003 Posted: 1:21 PM EST (1821 GMT)

KILL DEVIL HILLS, North Carolina (CNN) -- The Wright brothers would have sympathized.

One hundred years after the brothers' first flight, a meticulous reproduction of the 1903 Wright Flyer made a valiant attempt to take to the air on Wednesday.

Much like many of the brothers' early efforts, the plane could not get airborne. It struggled down a narrow track and unceremoniously came to a halt in a mud puddle.

Crowds cheered as the twin engines of the wood-and-muslin fragile aircraft came to life. But the re-enactment of the historic 12-second, 120-foot flight was not to be.

continued at cnn.com