trask busted!!!!

Dave_Schuldt

From todays Seattle PI

SAMMAMISH -- It occurred near the fresh pasta and in the canned-food aisle of the Safeway on 228th Avenue Northeast. The 26-year-old mother sensed a presence, a mysterious one.

But the Sammamish resident dismissed it that July morning. Instead, she focused on pushing her baby son in a shopping cart and browsing the aisles. As she turned a corner, a woman rushed up to tell her what had happened.

A man, whom police identified as 50-year-old trask, allegedly slid a silver cell-phone camera under the woman's blue flowered skirt and snapped electronic photographs while she shopped.

Charged with voyeurism, a felony under state law, trask pleaded not guilty Monday in what officials believe is the first case of its kind in King County.

trask, who lives in Sammamish, has been released on $25,000 bail. He is expected back in court next week; if convicted, he faces up to five years in prison.

The state law under which trask was charged stems from a Seattle case in which a man used a video camera to film up a woman's dress at the Bite of Seattle festival.

Yesterday, trask's father said the family had no comment.

But in charging papers, trask told police he has a panty fetish and has taken photographs of other women. Those images, according to charging papers, made their way onto his home computer.

Months after the alleged incident, the woman says she's still shaken.

"In hindsight, I never turned around," said the woman, who asked that her name not be published. "It's the last thing you expect to happen in any public place."

The growing popularity of wireless technology makes the alleged incident even more frightening.

By the end of 2003, worldwide sales of cell-phone cameras are expected to be between 40 million and 65 million. Some analysts believe U.S. consumers will buy 2 million to 3 million of the cameras this year.

And in July, 1 million cell-phone camera pictures were sent and received over Verizon Wireless' network alone, said Georgia Taylor, a spokeswoman for Verizon Wireless' Bellevue office.

Although customers typically send images of friends or loved ones, one 15-year-old New Jersey boy used his camera in thwarting a kidnap attempt. The boy escaped from a man who tried to abduct him, and he gave police that man's image.

Marc Rotenberg, executive director of the Electronic Privacy Information Center, said the Sammamish case is the first of its kind that he has heard about.

The Washington, D.C., organization focuses on civil liberties and protecting privacy.

Rotenberg said laws in South Korea and Japan, two countries where cell-phone camera use is hot, limit the devices in areas where people expect privacy. In the United States, he added, some health clubs try to keep them out of locker rooms.

"I don't think the purpose is to regulate the technology," he said. "I think it's about regulating conduct that many people consider to be highly offensive."

Yesterday, the 26-year-old woman said she still shops at that Safeway. But now, she no longer wears a dress or a skirt there.

"I don't want people to live in fear and not trust anyone ever," she said. "I guess just be aware of what's going on around you."

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave - Maybe you wouldn't come across as such a jellyfish-sucking mental midget if you weren't an 'idiot savant'. Most repair manuals are far more interesting than you, and far less turgid to read. There's nothing wrong with you that couldn't be cured with a little Prozac and a polo mallet, or, better yet, suicide.

the_finger.gif

scott_harpell said:

AlpineK said:

Quote fron an anonymous CC poster:

Ya know it's funny Cracked and Scott Harpell hate each others guts, but they're really almost identical

yellaf.gifwave.gif

by age alone my friend; by age alone. bigdrink.gif

no scott, sadly there's MUCH more similarity than you think. are you both the same simpleton?

trask said:

scott_harpell said:

AlpineK said:

Ya know it's funny Cracked and Scott Harpell hate each others guts, but they're really almost identical

yellaf.gifwave.gif

no scott, sadly there's MUCH more similarity than you think. are you both the same simpleton?

nope. last night while cracked was spraying his mindless drivel. i was out.

trask said:

scott_harpell said:

AlpineK said:

yellaf.gifwave.gif

what pray-tell? confused.gif

Ursa_Eagle said:

cracked, you don't seem to get it. This website would be a better place without you here. People here don't laugh with you, they laugh at you.

Everyone is so MEAN! cry.gif

What's the matter, did I make fun of your affiliation to a well known 'climbing' organization too often? the_finger.gif

Ursa_Eagle said:

nah, he's not good enough for us yellaf.gif

cracked, it may surprise you to know this, but you really don't know anything yet. You're too young. Yet you continue to post like you're an expert on everything. The fact that you can't even listen when people tell you this proves this.

Thank you for that edifying, yet condescending statement. I'll do my best to better my personality and life from now on. My mother thanks you.

rolleyes.gif Fuggin' bear-birds. the_finger.gifmoon.gif

Ursa_Eagle said:No, the point is, you can't keep your mouth shut when you should. Take a moment and look at the number of people who tell you you're an idiot versus the number of people who support you. You'll find the results are rather lopsided.
If you hadn't noticed, this is cc.com. Everyone tells everyone that they're an idiot. Hence, I tend not to listen to anybody here. If I really bother you so much, you could always ignore me. wave.gif Here, let's find out for sure:

Is Cracked an idiot?yes