Seattle Weather- East winds

catbirdseat

Kind of interesting weather this morning. It was warm and dry as I stepped outside this morning. There was not at drop of dew on my windshield as there usually is. No fogging on the inside on the way to work. High stratus cloud layer over the lowlands, but clear over the mountains. You could see "ripple-like" clouds over the west foothills of the Cascades.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes and no. Chinooks are normally associated with the east slopes of the Rocky Mountain Front, but generalistically speaking they can occur anywhere. I have not been outside near the foothills to make a weather observation. There may be some descent of cool winds down the west slopes of the Cascade Front (the cool air warms as it rapidly descends into the Sound thus making the air feel warm), but more than likely the winds are due to a spillage of winds through the passes. For the first time since I've lived here, the trees were blowing westward outside my window here. There is/was a strong high pressure east of the Cascades. The approaching low pressure system off the coast meant the wind would go east to west through the passes. Equilibrium will occur sooner than later, probably sooner as it looks like the front has about reached us (the "front" of a weather system is usually the backside of the cloud mass; i.e., where the clouds give way to clearing weather behind).

Historically speaking, some of the most fantastic temperature rises to ever be recorded have been the result of strong Chinooks east of the Rocky Mountain Front. I'm not certain on the exact number but I think the record is about a 100F change in a few hours or a day (from something like -50F to 50F). I'll have to see if I can find that record doing a web search.