Whistler\Blackcomb this weekend snoboy

Cpt.Caveman

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo!

I wanna ski so bad, but if things go as planned I will be gone from Squampton by Thursday... It's been puking here though, so you'll have a blast I'm sure.

Nobody ever tells me about secret slide shows. cry.gif

Don't take dru to Whistler yet... you'll scare him off skiing for ever! wink.gifhahaha.gif

John Baldwin's "Backcountry Whistler Map" is a pretty good guide to the whole Spearhead Traverse area. Printed on waterproof paper, lots of useful beta on routes, access points, yo-yo-ing spots, escape routes... Available at a fine shop I know of just off the highway in Squamish grin.gif

The new Hostel in Squamish is pretty nice. It's less crowded, and less $$ than anything in Whistler. It's only about a 45 minute drive to the lifts, and at the end of the day you get to leave Whistler behind, which can be a nice feeling.

Squamish International Hostel

38220 Hwy 99

Squamish BC

(604) 892 9240

hello@squamishhostel.com

www.squamishhostel.com

But if you insist on staying at the Zoo, there's a variety of hostels in Whistler that are usually pretty full but you could try giving them a call. Here's what I could find on-line, in no particular order:

YWCA Hotel / Residence

(604) 895-5830

(604) 681-2550 (fax)

http://www.ywcahotel.com

hotel@ywcavan.org

Hostelling International-Whistler

5678 Alta Lk Rd, Whistler, BC V0N1B0

(604) 932-5492

(604) 932-4687 (fax)

http://www.hihostels.ca

Shoestring Lodge

(604) 932-3338

(604) 932-8347 (fax)

Southside Lodge

(604) 938-6477

(604) 932-0551 (fax)

Whistler Backpackers

2124 Lake Placid Road, Whistler, BC V0N1B2

(604) 932-1177

Hope that helps wave.gif

murraysovereign said:

John Baldwin's "Backcountry Whistler Map" is a pretty good guide to the whole Spearhead Traverse area. Printed on waterproof paper, lots of useful beta on routes, access points, yo-yo-ing spots, escape routes...

There's another map (I don't know who publishes it) which is made from aerial summer photos overlaid with route info and waypoints (actual GPS waypoints for the Spearhead Traverse are provided). It looks a bit fancier than the Baldwin map, but I prefer Baldwin's.

As for recommended places to ski, it depends on what kind of terrain you like, and what the snow conditions are. For a relatively easy touring day with access to some short, moderate slopes, the Singing Pass area is good. This is accessed from Whistler, and is usually a safer option when avi conditions aren't great elsewhere. It also doesn't have any glaciers to worry about. For longer runs, head beyond Singing Pass onto the Overlord Glacier, or, if you're feeling good, drop some steep lines down Fissile Peak. On the other other side of the valley, behind Blackcomb, the Spearhead glacier is another great spot for some moderate runs.

Get the Baldwin map, it's got all the goods marked on it. thumbs_up.gif