skyclimb

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

just returned from the east side of the sisters.

Drove to the pole creek trailhead yesterday morning. After mile 9 the snow was about a foot deep. Made it to the trailhead at mile 13.

Snowshoed into chamber lakes in a whiteout. A foot of fresh made the work tedious. Set up camp. Awoke this morning to the same blizzard ripping around, with really high winds. Decided to forgo anything farther, and packed out with all the shit wet. carrying about 60-70 pound pack cantfocus.gif.

But hey, the trail is now packed, for the next day or so, before the whiteout covers it again madgo_ron.gif.

WOuldn't be suprised to see highway 20 flood. It was really close on the way home. blush.gif Never seen that river like that before, waves were HUGE.

So you could drive all the way to the trailhead no problems? Your burly for pushing through to Chamber Lakes with that much new snow. Did you skin or snowshoe? I was thinking about ya Sat/Sun when Mt. Bachelor was getting a couple feet of fresh. I figured you'd get out, just thought it might take a day or two. Could you stay with the marked trail the whole way? Let's watch the weather and next blizzard break lets bust out something. Glad your back safe. laugh.gif

yeah,

The road is passable, but a high clearance vehicle is needed. Shit, after the last days snow, maybe it isn't passable anymore?

Went in on snowshoes, should've skiied, as no climbing of any sort was to be had.

I had the trail marked in on my GPS, so easy to follow, plus I've been that way many a time before. But the neon pink tree markers are still up from last season, so relatively easy to follow.

Good experience breaking a new tent in though.

lets get after it as soon as the avy lessens, and the weather brightens. bigdrink.gif

i drove in the 1514 RD today (squaw creek area) up to about 5300' and it was passable in a higher clearance vehicle. a suby could do it before the snow softens up in the afternoons. take chains and a shovel though, we got stuck once we got off the packed down area. pics of the sistaz to come...

wave.gifDid you get on anything or just tooling around? I hiked for turns up near Broken Top. Weather was variable, beautiful when the sun could penetrate the low fog. Caught some rides with crazy 'bilers but still to slow/weak to get into the bowl with snowshoes in one day. Weird snow up high, avy conditions a little sketchy. Beer tonight?

the blue lines would go no problem, they could be skied all the way into june. the red lines are pretty damn steep...meaning i think you'd probably die doing them. i think that they're 5th class on broken rock...

anyways, here are some pics from the blue lines (prouty glacier). my partner looks like an idiot, oh well. it's steeper than it looks.

3720prouty1.jpg

3720prouty2.jpg

i think they're pretty close to right about the steepness. we did the variation that they talk about and it was about 50 degrees. the glacier is only about 35-40 above the schrund. i'd suggest going early in the season, cuz there were discontinuous patches of snow below the glacier. skiing to Green Lakes would have sucked. i'd go just after the road opens...

This seems like the place for this (shamelessly lifted from A.Mclean)

Steep-speak International Translations:

France: Subtract 5 degrees & 1/3 of the stated vertical. ie: 1000 meters of 50 degrees = 660m of 45 degrees.

Alaska Heliskiing - Subtract 20 degrees and cut the vertical in half. FIVE THOUSAND FUGGIN' FEET OF 60 DEGREES (Dude!) = 2,500' of 40 degrees.

Montana & Washington - accept at stated values.

California - Subtract 10 degrees, nip the vert by 1/4 and double the width of any stated couloir.

Oregon - there is no steep skiing in Oregon.

The East Coast - Overstated stats, but the conditions justify it. Accept at stated value.

Colorado - Whatever Lou said it was.

Utah - I'll take the 5th on that.

Film/Movies - cut stated angles and length in half.

"Film/Movies - cut stated angles and length in half"

Do they ever really state anything?

ARe you an all-star? how many movies yo been in?

ME, none.... but I don't really bost, I just wanted to know if the cliff in the red circle was do able or not, I've never been up there in prime sking conditions. but if dead is the word, then no go. The north slut is pretty steep...

the steep skiing mecca stuff is lame. If there are cliffs in the area and it is above snow level there is steep skiing wtf.

btw: oregon drivers have my vote for worst snow drivers. what f'ing part of "chains/traction required" don't you understand mr. lincoln navigator. stop trying to pass me with that crap. hahaha.gif multiple minivans spinning out and winding up in oncoming traffic hellno3d.gif