women rock- men feel free to post

minx

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see an all womans group as a good thing for a lot of women. That doesn't mean all women need a "womans group" to get started. Minx and Muffy and Michelle and Fern and others have all been climbing for awhile in a sport that has more men as participants. They are comfortable with being around men in the climbing arena. The issue isn't so much the fact woman can't feel comfortable climbing with men. It has more to do with social conditioning. Climbing is one of a few sports where it might not be considered "normal" for a woman to participate. By normal I mean in the sense of the bigger picture; the general public's viewpoint. A woman in her office building talking with colleagues, both men and woman might announce she wants to try rock climbing. While this is perfectly "normal" in her eyes, it wouldn't be unlikely for her to get reactions such as "huh?" or "really?" accompanied by quizzical looks. In the United States, a woman expressing an interest in Hockey might recieve the same reaction.

No doubt title IX has made big steps in eroding this gender gap, but it still exists much as racism still exists in our society. So for women wanting to "break out" and try climbing, a womans group may be very appealing initially. As she gets more comfortable, confident and possibly less self conscious, she will "break out" again and start climbing with men. The gender thing isn't necessarily self imposed, but more imposed by society, justified or not.

David_Parker said:

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

just a thought.. but who wants to be normal???

I don't think the focus is necessarily a desire to be normal, but a desire to not be considered "abnormal" for wanting to do something that IS normal.

climbing is not normal....neither am I wink.gif and I have no problem with being considered abnormal wink.gif

lummox said:

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

lummox said:

i am woman hear me roar

ReneeRichards1s.jpg

fruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

I think that may be the problem, I have never been a very good feminist.

as long as you can pass a pee test you will be all woman to me. got estrogen? wazzup.gif

I am femnin... not femnist wink.gif

I have never got the impression that a guy invited me

climbing just so that he could look at my ass and boobs.

I have rarely got the impression that a woman has invited me

climbing because she wanted to become my friend.

I have been associated with lots of all-female groups both

formal and informal. (Not the least of which is the all-girls

private school I went to for 12 years). I don't make new

friends easily. The sort of group that Junebug advertised is

something I might have gone to as an opportunity to meet new

people with something in common (climbing), someone else did

the organization so it requires little investment on my part

to go and expand my social circle. This website makes for

similar opportunities to meet new people and make new

friends...hello pubclub!