A Season Ahead

Jens

Why do I always find myself (and see almost everyone else in the PNW) trying to be a season to early for everything?

Case in point:

*In about October everyone is (myself included) waxing their skis and sharpening their ice tools . One poster said they were hyped for ice by the chill in the air on sept. 20 (not even autumn yet).

* Icicle creek canyon is packed with climbers seraching for dry rock in march but in June the place has really cleared out (of climbers at least).

* Alpental is almost a ghost town some march days- but packed with people hiking the snow covered stumps in early Nov.

*My partners are uninteresed in alpine rock in sept (perhaps the second best month!)

There are dozens of other examples.

Why do we all do this so bad here in the PNW? I'm just a guilty as the next guy.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I found myself out drytooling on sunday, i wanted to do it, and i knew why...i'm tired of rock climbing after 6 months straight. rolleyes.gif It's not that the season is over or that i want to get my winter sufferfest on, but that i need a change sometimes and you always want what you can't have... madgo_ron.gif

I don't know, I'm going to try skiing this weekend... I don't think everyone is a season too early. You can esentially wear your skis November to May or June here in the NW. Me and some buddies skied snoqualamie pass loop Melakwa Lake to Snow Lake on the first of July a couple of years back. I'm not postholing in Nov. or going to the Icicle with a rope in March...

There is one season, that season is NOW!

Jens said:

Why do we all do this so bad here in the PNW? I'm just a guilty as the next guy.

dont include me in your first person plural pronoun catchall. im on rock for another two months. i dont even think about pulling out the snowboard til at least new years unless theres some mungushu dump. the fat ice dont come in til february usually. i enjoy great snow riding and few people in march. eat it freaks: moon.gif

rr666 said:

Why look a season ahead, I just try to make the most of what is going on now. If there is dry rock, I am there, if there is snow in the mountains I am there. Always looking for one or the other, and just hope it doesn't rain too much for either.

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

lummox said:

Jens said:

dont include me in your first person plural pronoun catchall. im on rock for another two months. i dont even think about pulling out the snowboard til at least new years unless theres some mungushu dump. the fat ice dont come in til february usually. i enjoy great snow riding and few people in march. eat it freaks: moon.gif

exaclty dont lump me into your statement. tho i climb rock outside all year.