World Tunred Upside Down!

Peter_Puget

JayB said:

The funniest thing is someone who could literally be a great-grandparent still self-identifying as a member of a Youth Movement of any sort. Don't trust anyone over -what - 90?! Bwahahahahah hahaha.gif

where did i say i was member of a youth movement?

great grand parent? i don't think so. not even a grand parent, for my kids won't have children before they are capable of assuming them. they were raised responsibly and use contraception. you really have no clue.

you seem very spiteful and ossified before your time. your put down of elderlies is pathetic.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cracked said:

How would you suggest handling the situation?

at this point, transfer authority to the international community so that we are not targets anymore. participate to reconstruction without favoring our economic interests along side everybody else. short of doing this, the situation will get worse as more and more iraqis resent us. there are plenty of examples throughout history.

j_b said:

at this point, transfer authority to the international community so that we are not targets anymore

What you don't seem to grasp is that this will not work. People hate each other, and it's not always due to logic. Religion is a case in point. People will always hate the US for some reason or another, there is no way to avoid it. NONE.

j_b said:

JayB said:

The funniest thing is someone who could literally be a great-grandparent still self-identifying as a member of a Youth Movement of any sort. Don't trust anyone over -what - 90?! Bwahahahahah hahaha.gif

where did i say i was member of a youth movement?

great grand parent? i don't think so. not even a grand parent, for my kids won't have children before they are capable of assuming them. they were raised responsibly and use contraception. you really have no clue.

you seem very spiteful and ossified before your time. your put down of elderlies is pathetic.

Being spiteful in general and making spiteful comments about you in particular are two very different things, kemosabe. As far as elderlies are concerned, there is only one "elderly" that I enjoy putting down from time to time, and I think you can guess who that is.

Before this gets out of hand though, I should say that the only reasons I flip you so much shit - other than being my own ideological equivalent to antimatter - is that you dish a fair amount of it out yourself and seem tough enought to take it. Although I disagree with almost literally everything that you have to say about every topic under the Sun in all circumstances, I have to respect your willingness to duke it out in here and act as an advocate for those things that you believe in - irrespective of how collossally off-base, wrong-headed, myopic, ill-considered, unfounded, and un-capitalized they happen to be. Let me know if I ever step over the line and I will gladly limit myself to no more than one snide comment, slight, slam, or jibe per day.

Have an organic soy-beer on me. bigdrink.gif

JayB said:

I should say that the only reasons I flip you so much shit - other than being my own ideological equivalent to antimatter - is that you dish a fair amount of it out yourself and seem tough enought to take it.

the difference between us is that what i say is based on what you say not some ludicrous caricature and cliches that have no relation to reality. have i ever attempted to portray you as an egotistical money-grabber or some such? so why do you continually fling this hippy shit toward me when you have no idea what kind of person i am? i am not a hippy, nor have ever sung kumbayah, etc ..(even though hippies don't bother me)

irrespective of how collossally off-base, wrong-headed, myopic, ill-considered, unfounded, and un-capitalized they happen to be.

evidence? substantiation? i did not think so.

Let me know if I ever step over the line and I will gladly limit myself to no more than one snide comment, slight, slam, or jibe per day.

you do what you feel you have to do and i'll take care of myself. in turn you'll have to assume how your posts reflect upon you

Have an organic soy-beer on me. bigdrink.gif

rolleyes.gif

1) if you don't try to eat as much organic stuff as possible these days (or as you can afford), you are at the minimum ill-informed

2) the 'hippies are stupid' thing is getting really old but i suspect you have to appeal to your audience by any means you feel appropriate (it's also called demagoguery). seeing the type of people who shop at organic markets, i can assure you there aren't too many hippies there but mostly average americans.

cracked said:

What you don't seem to grasp is that this will not work. People hate each other, and it's not always due to logic. Religion is a case in point. People will always hate the US for some reason or another, there is no way to avoid it. NONE.

and you are a science student?

j_b said:

cracked said:

and you are a science student?

What's that got to do with anything? Engineering, to be precise. the_finger.gif

You don't seem to understand that people are left unfulfilled by sitting in a circle, holding hands, and being peaceful. History shows that people always fight each other, no matter what. It's human nature. Peace doesn't work. Males have an urge to prove themselves, be it via drinking more than their buddies, wrestling, stealing horses (eg native americans), or war. Our instinct is to fight. To fight, one must hate. So hate cannot be eradicated. wave.gif

"so why do you continually fling this hippy shit toward me when you have no idea what kind of person i am? i am not a hippy, nor have ever sung kumbayah, etc .."

Because it seems to bother you so much. Try some Transcendental Meditation, Regression Therapy, or better yet some aromatherapy coupled with some astral tunes while chanting and you'll feel much better. (Poke. Poke.) yellaf.gif

Seriously though, your politics do hearken back to a certain decade that began roughly 40 years ago, and the tenor of your comments pertaining to that time suggest that you view the era as a halcyonic period, at the very least. Are you sure you haven't sung Kumbaya - at least once? Surely you must have had to stifle the urge to humm along least once or twice while it was playing in the background at the local PLC or Whole Foods Market...

As far as organic foods are concerned, I have actually read quite a few studies about the matter and after doing so concluded that they are not, on the whole, better for you and certainly aren't worth paying extra for. When someone shows me a credible study that passes muster with the AMA, or the NSF, or at the very least has appropriate controls then I may change my dining habits accordingly. I have a B.S. in Biochemistry and a minor in Chemistry and have more than a passing familiarity with the manner in which chemicals affect key metabolic processes and cellular events, and am no stranger to sorting out good data from bad as I read and asses the validity of data in peer-reviewed scientific papers nearly every day as part of my job. What are your qualifications in this matter?

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

irrespective of how collossally off-base, wrong-headed, myopic, ill-considered, unfounded, and un-capitalized they happen to be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

evidence? substantiation? i did not think so."

I was joking here. If I was seriously trying to delineate the specific defects in your thinking the list would have been much, much longer.*(See footnote below)

*Disclaimer. This comment made in jest. Such comments are also referred to as "jokes."

Except for the uncapitalized part. First letter after a period. It's quick, it's easy, it's grammatically correct- and it'll impress the folks at the commune.*

Try some Transcendental Meditation, Regression Therapy, or better yet some aromatherapy coupled with some astral tunes while chanting and you'll feel much better. (Poke. Poke.)

just for the record, i am a scientist by training and profession and i have never considered any of the above.

Seriously though, your politics do hearken back to a certain decade that began roughly 40 years ago, and the tenor of your comments pertaining to that time suggest that you view the era as a halcyonic period, at the very least.

although you may not want to acknowledge it, your lifestyle is entirely conditioned by the advances that were made during that period, including your right to spew on this board in the fashion that you do

As far as organic foods are concerned, I have actually read quite a few studies about the matter and after doing so concluded that they are not, on the whole, better for you and certainly aren't worth paying extra for.

how interesting that you feel this way when the relevant studies are not being done due to a lack of political will

When someone shows me a credible study that passes muster with the AMA, or the NSF, or at the very least has appropriate controls then I may change my dining habits accordingly.

as you ought to know, funding depends on policy. perhaps you'll remember that ddt, chlordane, dursban and others were declared safe by the governement right up to the moment they were banned by the epa

I have a B.S. in Biochemistry and a minor in Chemistry and have more than a passing familiarity with the manner in which chemicals affect key metabolic processes and cellular events,

and am no stranger to sorting out good data from bad as I read and asses the validity of data in peer-reviewed scientific papers nearly every day as part of my job.

how confident of you to think that your knowledge is sufficient to assess the long term effect of pesticides on your body and more importantly on that of children when many researchers think that the potential for toxicity is great

as said by the national academy of science: "tolerance concentrations are based primarily on the field trials conducted by pesticide manufacturers and are designed to reflect the highest residue concentrations under normal circumstances of agricultural use. their principal purpose is to ensure compliance with good agricultural practice. tolerances are not based primarily on health considerations"

http://books.nap.edu/books/0309048753/html/2.html#pagetop

i believe this says it all. in other words only obvious toxicity is addressed and no study of low dose ingestion has been conducted, and manufacturers can claim that no harm at low dose has been demonstrated.

What are your qualifications in this matter?

i am not a chemist

j_b said:

catbirdseat said:

It would be interesting if any of that were true, however Mat is full of shit. The Republicans think that by saying something enough, people will believe it. To a large extent, they are right.

pretty soon they'll tell us that groping women without their consent was what the 60's were about rolleyes.gif

Too many Democrats are shrill, hopeless, undersexed squares

as any good modern dem knows, groping men is where it is at. Clinton was the last decent Dem. smileysex5.gifbigdrink.gif

j_b, eat your vegan burgers and quit bitching. Every month there's a new list of harmful substances that are in all of our foods, and 'experts' tell us that we're all going to die tomorrow if we don't eat tofu. rolleyes.gif Might as well commit suicide, life is so dangerous to your health. rolleyes.gif Dumbass.

although you may not want to acknowledge it, your lifestyle is entirely conditioned by the advances that were made during that period, including your right to spew on this board in the fashion that you do

Yes, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights were drafted in 1960s by Abby Hoffman and Stokely Carmichael...

Did you actually read the entire paper you cited? This was a 1993 paper that made the startling revelations that certain chemicals affect children differently than adults and that there was a concomittant need to develop better models to evaluate both the said toxicity and exposure levels. Earthshaking stuff.

As far as human health in general is concerned, and in the US in particular, the principal threats to human health do not arise from chronic exposure to trace amounts of agrichemicals that have been in use for decades without any epidemiological alarm bells going off - it's a result of the choices that they themselves are making. Heart disease, diabetes, lung cancer, strokes, etc, etc, etc are the primary killers in this society, and they are all the result of the manner in which people choose to live their own lives. Getting kids off the couch and limiting their Ben & Jerry's intake is where anyone concerned about children's present and future health should focus their energies IMO.

And, as far as DDT is concerned. I'm glad that raptors have structurally sound eggs once again, but on the flip side...literally tens of millions of people have been died as a result of the surge in malaria after the DDT ban in equatorial zones, so it doesn't seem to me that the ban or withholding aid to countries that make use of it has been a uniformly positive event for all concerned.

But I am even boring myself now, so I will have to bid this thread adieu....

IN CASE Y'ALL HADN'T NOTICED

When j_b tool and JayB or MtnGoat go at it in a thread, they will NOT hear or really acknowledge anyone else butting in. If you post a comment and it makes you feel better, fine, but as you've seen, the tools just keep hammering away at each other with their blinders on.

trask said:

IN CASE Y'ALL HADN'T NOTICED

When j_b tool and JayB or MtnGoat go at it in a thread, they will NOT hear or really acknowledge anyone else butting in. If you post a comment and it makes you feel better, fine, but as you've seen, the tools just keep hammering away at each other with their blinders on.

yeah, but you can lure other fish into the mix, like CBS. evils3d.gifyellaf.gif