Alpine Route Recomendations?

Lambone

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mattp said:

I'd call that Eldorado Creek approach pretty much of a trail, Mr. K. I don't think I'd say the same for Roush Creek, but I've never been that way.

I agree, it ain't bad at all. I was just referring to the "trailhead" specifically since it's an unmarked path into the woods to an immediate log crossing and some tape smile.gif

mattp said:

Well, yeah, there's that. But it even has a bulletin board and everything!

Seriously?? Wow, I must be blind or something. I guess the only times I have started out up that trail have been at the crack of dawn, so maybe i'm just asleep. Maybe I should have looked closer and saved myself 5 minutes of wandering around in the forest down by the river.

Yep. Seriously. They had information about the reroute up at the boulder field and stuff like that. It was not where you'd go to get to last year's log crossing, though, and it didn't stop ME from wandering around in the woods for ten minutes in the morning.

mattp said:

Yep. Seriously. They had information about the reroute up at the boulder field and stuff like that. It was not where you'd go to get to last year's log crossing, though, and it didn't stop ME from wandering around in the woods for ten minutes in the morning.

There is a marker and a sign and I would consider it a bonafide trail instead of a climber's path...

Also keen person (or one that can read) will notice that a sibley creek trail approach is an alternative.

There are two different log crossings at Eldo trailhead. One is about 9" diameter and is a little slimy. That one is the first one you come to when coming from the car parking area. The other is a hugemongous tree about 3' in diameter, but requires scrambling over the root ball. The trailhead sign is by the bigger tree.

In other news, the Mtn Loop Hwy is washed out just north of the Vesper Peak (Sunrise Mine) trailhead turnoff.

This came as quite a surprise to my partner and I as we were driving towards the Sloan Pk trailhead on Friday night. A strand of pink engineer's tape strung across the road was all that kept us from a 15-20' plunge in the Subaru. hellno3d.gif

In even more other news, there is enough snow and verglass on the N. face of Vesper to make it unclimbable for a wimp like me.

wave.gif

Stuart Range is wide open. You can go in from Ingalls Lake area, you can go up Stuart Lake Trail. There's no snow in the Enchantments basin and only small patches on the peaks. But the ptarmigan are completely white already. Kinda funny, the camo isn't working so well.

We ended up hitting the North Ridge for a yearly reunion with a fine route. It was a beatifull weekend, perfect weather window.

For those burlier than thou, the entire N Ridge of Stuart is draped in sweet looking ice ribbons. A bit thin now, but there were several lines that looked cherry, with some more ice they would be fatty alpine mixed lines. We would have hit the N Ridge Variation for some ice fun...if we had tools, screws, and wern't wearing tennies. Kind of that..."if we had some ham we'd have some ham and eggs...if we had some eggs..." HCL.gif

Great climb, my hands suffered, and we got nice and chilly, but the crux was the 8 hour drive home last night. Fall alpine trips are awsome. bigdrink.gif