Best value on a -5 to 0 F sleeping bag?

olyclimber

Anyone know the best deal going for a -5 to 0 degree F sleeping bag. I want to go light and small, so down would probably be the best. The REI -5 F down bag looks good at $279. Are there better deals than that out there? I've looked around at some online sales, but that is the best I've found so far.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Gryphon is actually a Hybrid bag. Synthetic on the bottom, down on the top. It's quite toasty.

I had a North Face bag too, and the exact same thing happened to me. Claimed it was a zero degree bag, but got cold around 20 Degrees. madgo_ron.gif

Waaaay overrated. TNF bags suck. not to mention it only lasted 3 years. Avoid them like the plague.

skyclimb said:

Whatever you do DON'T buy a North Face bag! I got a 0 F rated North Face Snowshoe polargaurd 3D bag, and it keeps me warm only down to around 15-20 F. Their ratings are inflated. bigdrink.gif

I've had a TNF snowshoe for 2 years, usually sleep very cold vs. bag specs (10-20 degrees difference) and have been warm down to -5/+5F in it. Do you close the hood around your head and wear a hat when you are camping below freezing? I have noticed very few people do this, and blame the bag for being too cold. Coming from -40 winters at ground level, cold was also an issue for me in the spring/fall. the Snowshoe works beautifully down to about 0 and past that I got a MH 5th Dimension that keeps me toasty the rest of the way.

lummox said:

doesnt sierra trading post offer super cheap closeouts on bags? if you arent in a hurry keep shopping. and check out mec.ca

Thanks for the advice lummox. I actually went ahead and bought a REI 0 degree downbag that is mentioned above. I did check out both MEC.CA and sierratradingpost.com (which is a great place to find killer deals on closeouts). The specs on the REI bag, being able to see the bag before I bought, and the price, and the quality leaned me towards the REI bag. That I got %15 off of my total purchase because of a sale sealed the deal. BTW, there is a pretty good deal on a MARMOT SISKIYOU 5° DOWN SLEEPING BAG at sierra trading post...$187...fairly close to the same as I paid for the REI bag after the discount if you add in the shipping. Thanks...