Tips

eternalX

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

eternalX said:

anything that sticks out in your mind to focus on when you're climbing.

I would have to say "nothing". In my short tenure, the times when I am able to focus on nothing is when I have climbed at my personal best. Don't envision yourself moving forward; just move forward.

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

Skip that "focus on nothing" Yoda shit and focus on something. Your footwork, body position, and breathing are a great start.

Edit: Like jopa said, focus on nothing!

Can you detail anything more on any of those? Like "Always try to keep your body as close to the rock as possible" or "It's better to reach higher then wider with your feet" or whatever. Again, I'm not saying that these things exist, just asking.

AmberBuxom said:

your legs are stronger than your arms.

What Amber said...use your feet. When you start getting so pumped you're sure you're going to fall, concentrate on your feet.

Always be on the lookout for stems.

If the holds are there, take baby steps.

Visualize sticking instead of slipping.

Try to keep your feet dry.

Don't give up on trying to learn to handjam! grin.gif

Jopa said:

eternalX said:

anything that sticks out in your mind to focus on when you're climbing.

I would have to say "nothing". In my short tenure, the times when I am able to focus on nothing is when I have climbed at my personal best. Don't envision yourself moving forward; just move forward.

I second (or third confused.gif) this idea. I try to get all my thinking out of the way BEFORE I start climbing. Deep breaths are always helpful...and remember to keep breathing while you are climbing.

When you are beginning it takes a lot of mental energy to climb because you are constantly thinking about your feet, balance, the next hold, the best technique to use (stemming, smearing, edging, manteling, jamming, etc). Once you become more proficient your body starts moving without having to think so hard on how to use it. I believe this is refered to as engrams.

One thing that has helped me to practice climbing without thinking about anything is to get on routes that are super easy OR do some of your favorite routes a number of times. When I get on harder routes, I then find it easier to get myself into the 'zone'.

You asked about reading material. I would highly recommend "Performance Rock Climbing" by Dale Goddard and Udo Neumann. It talks a bunch about engrams, performance, mental and phyical training, etc.

Most important, just make sure it is fun. grin.gif

bigdrink.gif