Accident or Stupidity?

Dan_Harris

After reading the thread on the climbers board it got me to thinking. When does ones actions in your risky vocation or avocation and its negative results belong under the heading of unfortunate accident, or the odds caught up with them, or just plain stupid. Tim Treadwell and the grizzleys, Roy Horn and his tigers, and the guy with the sharks have all been in the news lately. There have been others, vulcanologists David Johnston (Mt. St. Helens), the Krafts (caught in a pyroclastic flow from Mount Unzen), Dale Earnhardt and other race drivers, and too many others to mention. Any thoughts?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

trask said:

I don't necessarily think of risky behavior or occupations as stupid. I do think those involved are on borrowed time though, and that none of us should be to sympathetic when they die. They made their beds and they can lay in it. Their choice.

I think about 90% of us on this board fit into that category tongue.gif

to sort of quote metallica, you choose you death by the life you live. In other words you reeep what you sew. and to borrow trasks cleshe' you made yer bed NOW SLEEP IN IT.

it is not a matter of weather you have lived your life RIGHT OR WRONG, but weather or not you can live (and DIE) with your life and your choices.

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

to sort of quote metallica, you choose you death by the life you live. In other words you reeep what you sew. and to borrow trasks cleshe' you made yer bed NOW SLEEP IN IT.

it is not a matter of weather you have lived your life RIGHT OR WRONG, but weather or not you can live (and DIE) with your life and your choices.

MUFFY, YOU'RE DRIVING ME CRAZY! DO YOU MISSPELL EVERY WORD ON PURPOSE????

cracked said:

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

MUFFY, YOU'RE DRIVING ME CRAZY! DO YOU MISSPELL EVERY WORD ON PURPOSE????

cool.gif YES

E-rock said:

Do you actually know the story behind David Johnston's death? If you did you wouldn't be calling him stupid.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply Johnston was stupid, far from it. In my question I gave three options and tried to give an example of each. Johnston's was an unfortunate accident. Who knew the mountain would blow sideways. With Treadwell I think the odds caught up with him. Same for the Krafts. They helped increase our knowledge of volcanoes but took some big, and I think unnecessary, risks. The guy who thought yoga or whatever would keep him safe from sharks was just plain stupid. I also agree with trask, you made your bed and now you must sleep in it.