What Dwayner should have written..

Peter_Puget

It's no secret that I have argued with Dwayner quite a bit on this site I think we started climbign about the same time and I remember reading old chouinard catologs as if they were the gospel. The attached link is a fun read if only to look at old stuff and prices. It also has a great article on clean climbing that is worth a read and my guess is Dwayner would endorse it too.

Link

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanks for posting. i just wasted about an hour at work.

i'd heard about the catalog but had never actually read it. i found the influence british ethics really interesting, and how the brits had different concerns from the continentals. i wonder if this plays itself out in our modern use of the term "french free".

but what would john long say about fig 7 on p. 22? wink.gif

OK - now you've done it. I don't think it will double the load on the upper chock because there will be considerable friction where the cords rub against each other so it won't be a perfect pulley effect. More worriesome is that it may not keep the lower one in place unless it is constantly loaded in a more or less downward direction, so if you lead past it and the rope running through the carabiner causes the anchor point to raise up and drop down a little bit, well ... or if any pull during a fall comes from varying different directions because the rope whips around a corner or if a carabiner vibrates ... or if you are using it for an anchor instead of just a piece of pro and you wiggle around scratching your butt at the belay ... it may fail althogether; whereas (if both pieces are good) it could be an omnidirectional if they were tied together. Having said that, I would set a pair of nuts this way in certain situations where I thought the upper was good for a downward but not much of an outward pull. Now let's hear how you're not wrong but I am, and then we can discuss fall factors and dynamic belay technique and we'll complete the discussion.

cracked said:

Al_Pine said:

Only for a downward pull.

When I fall off, I typically fall down. Don't know about you. boxing_smiley.gif

Reminder, if ever climbing with "Cracked", check out his belay anchor before leading up the second pitch, unless of course, he's like 250 lbs.

I think the force multiplier is only about 1.67.

Isn't anybody worried about using only double fisherman's on those pieces instead of triple?

Al_Pine said:

cracked said:

Al_Pine said:

Reminder, if ever climbing with "Cracked", check out his belay anchor before leading up the second pitch, unless of course, he's like 250 lbs.

Isn't anybody worried about using only double fisherman's on those pieces instead of triple?

shit, the guy only leads 1/2 pitch sport routes and cracks with bolted belays - i mean he only bought his first camalots last week do you think he even knows how to build a gear anchor yellaf.gifhellno3d.gifyellaf.gifboxing_smiley.gif

Al_Pine said:

cracked said:

Al_Pine said:

Good guess, I'm right around 200.

No, it's 2, discounting friction. And the friction is dependent on load, as anyone who has taken HS physics could figure out.

No, I think the 9mm 'cord' gives enough friction that triple fishermans would be overkill.

Dru, you scrawny Canadian bitch-man, kiss my moon.gif. I've been climbing with other peoples' gear for quite a while now. You're just jealous that a teenage sport climber leads harder trad than you. the_finger.gifthe_finger.gif Oh, and liebacking is aid, right? rolleyes.gif What's next? Crampons are aid? rolleyes.gif

The best setup when using two nuts in opposition is to keep the slings short and use clove hitches to keep the two in opposition. boxing_smiley.gif

just place a tri cam instead of those two hexes, duh!

cracked, buddy, i know you're jealous of me.... green becomes you hahaha.gif lay it out on the line how many multipitch routes you've done and how many gear anchors you've actually belayed off of, huh? meanwhile i will enjoy the fact that my years of experience actually put me over the LEGAL DRINKING AGE yellaf.gifbigdrink.gifyellaf.gifbigdrink.gif

Dru said:

just place a tri cam instead of those two hexes, duh!

cracked, buddy, i know you're jealous of me.... green becomes you hahaha.gif lay it out on the line how many multipitch routes you've done and how many gear anchors you've actually belayed off of, huh? meanwhile i will enjoy the fact that my years of experience actually put me over the LEGAL DRINKING AGE yellaf.gifbigdrink.gifyellaf.gifbigdrink.gif

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifboxing_smiley.gif

JayB said:

Settle this like men at the 1st Inaugural Distel32 Bouldering Tour. Contestants will attempt to construct an equalized, multidirectional gear anchor while locking off on a sick sloper/toe-cam/knee-scum prob...

can i just be drunk and attempt the feat?

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifhahaha.gif