Glaciers

allthumbs

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

trask said:

I'm interested in ice lately. If a glacier melts down does it become thin ice? What is thin ice?

Glaciers often melt down to deteriorate as a snowfield - snowfield is often referred to as a section of "california glacier" by people from the NW. It may have a hole or two about 30 feet deep and I am not being elitist when I comment.

In the late summer\fall a glacier will melt and then refreeze on the top in some areas of NA but not all. This can often create some true hard ice that may or may not require ice screws to ascend or more than likely use a belay to descend.

Thin ice is a varying definition. But to describe one way may be a new layer of thin ice over the glacier surface which could be up to 12 inches thich in my experiences. I am not authority on this definition.

In the end trask - I get humor because you were so low white trash you never even use one capital letter in your online name creation- ice is a fun thing to climb if you are prepared to ascend AND descend. Often descending by downcliming ice is harder than climbing up it unless you can rappel.

Here's to some Schmidt's Ice wave.gifbigdrink.gif